Feb 4, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
The number of former players that appear to be taking legal action against Rutgers and former head coach Mike Rice has grown to four.
In December, Derrick Randall, who has since transferred to Pitt, filed a lawsuit against Rice, a former assistant coach and the former Athletics Director, among others, over the mental, emotional and physical abuse he suffered during his time with the Scarlett Knights. Randall, who has learning disabilities, also claimed that Rice and company violated his civil rights and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
On Tuesday, the Newark Star-Ledger broke the news that three other athletes who played for Rice have taken or plan to taken similar action:
The university released letters from attorneys for Jerome Seagears, who is still on the Scarlet Knights roster, along with former teammates Robert Lumpkins and Dane Miller, who either filed notices of claim in connection with their treatment at the hands of Rice, or letters of representation asking Rutgers to preserve all evidence related to the students.
None of the students has gone to court.
Rice was fired on April 3rd, just days after a video was released of him throwing balls at his players, cursing at them and calling them gay slurs. One of his assistants appeared to challenge some of the players to fight. A number of higher-ups in the athletic department, including Athletics Director Tim Pernetti, lost their jobs as well. They saw the video in December and suspended Rice while fining him.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)