Feb 4, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
The number of former players that appear to be taking legal action against Rutgers and former head coach Mike Rice has grown to four.
In December, Derrick Randall, who has since transferred to Pitt, filed a lawsuit against Rice, a former assistant coach and the former Athletics Director, among others, over the mental, emotional and physical abuse he suffered during his time with the Scarlett Knights. Randall, who has learning disabilities, also claimed that Rice and company violated his civil rights and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
On Tuesday, the Newark Star-Ledger broke the news that three other athletes who played for Rice have taken or plan to taken similar action:
The university released letters from attorneys for Jerome Seagears, who is still on the Scarlet Knights roster, along with former teammates Robert Lumpkins and Dane Miller, who either filed notices of claim in connection with their treatment at the hands of Rice, or letters of representation asking Rutgers to preserve all evidence related to the students.
None of the students has gone to court.
Rice was fired on April 3rd, just days after a video was released of him throwing balls at his players, cursing at them and calling them gay slurs. One of his assistants appeared to challenge some of the players to fight. A number of higher-ups in the athletic department, including Athletics Director Tim Pernetti, lost their jobs as well. They saw the video in December and suspended Rice while fining him.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)