Feb 4, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Florida head coach Billy Donovan is getting his roster together with the addition of Chris Walker on Tuesday night, hoping to make another run in the NCAA tournament. Following the season, Donovan will once again coach USA Basketball.
On Tuesday afternoon, Donovan was named the head coach of the Under-18 team. Donovan led the USA to gold in 2012 and 2013. In 2012, he took the Under-18 team to the a perfect 5-0 record at the FIBA Americas Championship. The next season, he took the Under-19 team to the FIBA World Championship.
“I’m honored to have the opportunity to work with USA Basketball again this summer,” Donovan said in a statement. “I’ve said it before, but anytime you are chosen to represent your country, that is really something special. USA Basketball is an outstanding organization, and I’m looking forward to another challenge at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship.”
Joining Donovan on his staff will be Arizona head coach Sean Miller and Providence head coach Ed Cooley. For Miller and Cooley, it’s the first time coaching a USA Basketball team after serving as a coach during training camps in years past.
“It is an honor to represent our country and wear the red, white and blue,” Cooley said. “This is special to be able to work with two future Hall of Fame coaches. I feel blessed to have this opportunity to work with and learn from Billy and Sean, not to mention we get to represent our country. It is very inspiring.”
USA Basketball will hold a training camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. from June 10-19. From that camp will be a 12-player roster. The location and dates for the 2014 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championships have yet to be announced.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)