Feb 4, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Florida head coach Billy Donovan is getting his roster together with the addition of Chris Walker on Tuesday night, hoping to make another run in the NCAA tournament. Following the season, Donovan will once again coach USA Basketball.
On Tuesday afternoon, Donovan was named the head coach of the Under-18 team. Donovan led the USA to gold in 2012 and 2013. In 2012, he took the Under-18 team to the a perfect 5-0 record at the FIBA Americas Championship. The next season, he took the Under-19 team to the FIBA World Championship.
“I’m honored to have the opportunity to work with USA Basketball again this summer,” Donovan said in a statement. “I’ve said it before, but anytime you are chosen to represent your country, that is really something special. USA Basketball is an outstanding organization, and I’m looking forward to another challenge at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship.”
Joining Donovan on his staff will be Arizona head coach Sean Miller and Providence head coach Ed Cooley. For Miller and Cooley, it’s the first time coaching a USA Basketball team after serving as a coach during training camps in years past.
“It is an honor to represent our country and wear the red, white and blue,” Cooley said. “This is special to be able to work with two future Hall of Fame coaches. I feel blessed to have this opportunity to work with and learn from Billy and Sean, not to mention we get to represent our country. It is very inspiring.”
USA Basketball will hold a training camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. from June 10-19. From that camp will be a 12-player roster. The location and dates for the 2014 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championships have yet to be announced.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)