Feb 4, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Florida head coach Billy Donovan is getting his roster together with the addition of Chris Walker on Tuesday night, hoping to make another run in the NCAA tournament. Following the season, Donovan will once again coach USA Basketball.
On Tuesday afternoon, Donovan was named the head coach of the Under-18 team. Donovan led the USA to gold in 2012 and 2013. In 2012, he took the Under-18 team to the a perfect 5-0 record at the FIBA Americas Championship. The next season, he took the Under-19 team to the FIBA World Championship.
“I’m honored to have the opportunity to work with USA Basketball again this summer,” Donovan said in a statement. “I’ve said it before, but anytime you are chosen to represent your country, that is really something special. USA Basketball is an outstanding organization, and I’m looking forward to another challenge at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship.”
Joining Donovan on his staff will be Arizona head coach Sean Miller and Providence head coach Ed Cooley. For Miller and Cooley, it’s the first time coaching a USA Basketball team after serving as a coach during training camps in years past.
“It is an honor to represent our country and wear the red, white and blue,” Cooley said. “This is special to be able to work with two future Hall of Fame coaches. I feel blessed to have this opportunity to work with and learn from Billy and Sean, not to mention we get to represent our country. It is very inspiring.”
USA Basketball will hold a training camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. from June 10-19. From that camp will be a 12-player roster. The location and dates for the 2014 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championships have yet to be announced.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)