Feb 5, 2014, 12:06 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 3 Florida 68, Missouri 58
The Gators won their 14th straight game with Chris Walker playing the first game of his collegiate career. Walker, the 6-foot-10 freshman, scored four points and recorded two rebounds in seven minutes.
The Tigers shot 8-of-21 from behind the arc to keep them in the game with Jabari Brown beating the buzzer in the first half with a 3-pointer to put Mizzou up 28-25 entering the break. With eight minutes left in regulation, tied 45-45, Florida went on a 12-3 run to pull away.
No. 8 Kansas 69, Baylor 52: After suffering a loss to Texas on Saturday, Kansas delivered Baylor a home loss. Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid struggled, but Naadir Tharpe is continuing to show growth in his third year in Lawrence.
Ohio State 76, No. 17 Iowa 69: The Buckeyes lost at home to the Hawkeyes three weeks ago. The Ohio State defense forced Iowa into a bad shooting night from deep. Iowa had it close with four minutes to play, but Sam Thompson freed Amir Williams up for a dunk. Thompson later drilled a 3-pointer to put Ohio State up nine.
No. 15 Texas 59, TCU 54: The Longhorns have been on of the surprising teams this season with Rick Barnes going from the hot seat to a coach of the year candidate. Texas jumped out to a 7-0 lead, but trailed by two at halftime. Jonathan Holmes broked a 52-52 tie with under three minutes to play, giving the Longhorns the lead for good.
1) Naadir Tharpe, Kansas: The junior point guard ended with 22 points, five rebounds and four assists. His performance was made more impressive by Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid score a combined three points in the first half, coming off Wiggins’ half-court buzzer-beater.
2) Jonathan Holmes, Texas: Went for 20 points and 16 boards helping Texas avoid an upset loss to TCU on the road. Holmes broke a 52-52 tie with a 3-pointer with less than three minutes to play. TCU would not tie the game the rest of the game.
3) Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky: After struggling over the course of several weeks, Cauley-Stein recorded 18 points, 11 rebounds and six blocked shots. In his six previous games, he scored 14 points, grabbed 19 rebounds and blocked nine shots all together.
1) Rutgers: Box Score vs. Memphis
2) Roy Devyn Marble and Aaron White: The two leading scorers for the high-powered Iowa offense were held to 18 combined points off 7-of-20 shooting. The Hawkeyes missed 17-of-20 3-point attempts as a team.
3) Marcus Georges-Hunt, Georgia Tech: The sophomore forward shot 1-of-13 from the field for nine points in a loss to Clemson.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 11 Duke 83, Wake Forest 63
- No. 18 Kentucky 80, Ole Miss 64
- No. 24 Memphis 101, Rutgers 69
- St. John’s 86, Providence 76
- Stony Brook 58, Binghamton 53
- Vermont 93, Maine 65
- Manhattan 64, St. Peter’s 49
- Iona 89, Monmouth 71
- Butler 69, Marquette 62
- North Carolina 75, Maryland 63
- Clemson 45, Georgia Tech 41
- Towson 80, James Madison 71
- Eastern Kentucky 74, Chattanooga 63
- Wisconsin 75, Illinois 63
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)