Feb 6, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After holding out hope that junior forward DeAndre Daniels would be able to play against No. 7 Cincinnati on Thursday night, No. 22 UConn will be without its second-leading scorer for the American Athletic Conference matchup due to back spasms.
The news was reported via Twitter by Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant. Senior forward Niels Giffey, who currently ranks second nationally in three-point field goal percentage (55.6%), will start in Daniels’ place.
Daniels suffered the ankle injury in the first half of UConn’s win at Rutgers on January 25, sitting out a blowout win over Houston as a result. But just as it looked like he was recovering from that injury, the back issues began for Daniels. Daniels is currently averaging 13.7 points and 5.6 rebounds per game, ranking second on the team in rebounding as well.
Given UConn’s struggles on the glass for much of this season (point guard Shabazz Napier is the team’s leading rebounder), not having Daniels against Cincinnati is a tough blow to absorb. The Bearcats are grabbing just over 40% of their missed shots this season, ranking sixth nationally in offensive rebounding percentage.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)