Feb 6, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After holding out hope that junior forward DeAndre Daniels would be able to play against No. 7 Cincinnati on Thursday night, No. 22 UConn will be without its second-leading scorer for the American Athletic Conference matchup due to back spasms.
The news was reported via Twitter by Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant. Senior forward Niels Giffey, who currently ranks second nationally in three-point field goal percentage (55.6%), will start in Daniels’ place.
Daniels suffered the ankle injury in the first half of UConn’s win at Rutgers on January 25, sitting out a blowout win over Houston as a result. But just as it looked like he was recovering from that injury, the back issues began for Daniels. Daniels is currently averaging 13.7 points and 5.6 rebounds per game, ranking second on the team in rebounding as well.
Given UConn’s struggles on the glass for much of this season (point guard Shabazz Napier is the team’s leading rebounder), not having Daniels against Cincinnati is a tough blow to absorb. The Bearcats are grabbing just over 40% of their missed shots this season, ranking sixth nationally in offensive rebounding percentage.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)