Feb 7, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Arizona State’s 86-82 overtime win over Oregon State on Thursday night was an important one for the Sun Devils, with the game being one in which a defeat would be more harmful than a win would be beneficial in regards to their NCAA tournament hopes. Yes Oregon State managed to beat UCLA on Super Bowl Sunday and was one of the five teams locked in a tie for fourth place in the Pac-12 entering the game, but a loss would be one that could potentially prove costly to Arizona State come Selection Sunday.
Jermaine Marshall led the way offensively with 25 points (22 after halftime) and Jahii Carson added 23 to go along with six rebounds and six assists. The headliner, individually speaking, was actually senior center Jordan Bachynski. Bachynski accounted for 17 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocked shots before fouling out in overtime, and the seven blocks made him the Pac-12’s all-time leader in that category.
Bachynski, who has now blocked 279 shots during his three-plus seasons in Tempe, passed former Arizona center Anthony Cook on Thursday night. Cook, who played at Arizona from 1986-89, blocked 278 shots during his career. Following the game Bachynski was humble in discussing his career achievement.
“It’s huge. I’m honored that I can hold that title,” said Bachynski, who then noted that many of the great big men played before blocks were an official statistic. “You also have to think about guys like Bill Walton…it is because of guys like him that they laid the foundation so that I can hold this record.”
As for the NCAA record for blocked shots in a career it would take a Herculean effort from Bachynski to reach the mark established by former Mississippi State center Jarvis Varnado. Varnado blocked a staggering 564 shots during his time in Starkville.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)