Feb 7, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
There are 38 days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before.
Oh LSU (RPI: 54, KenPom: 59), why must you be so difficult?
For the first time all season, the Tigers actually looked like they were a two with veteran guards and a trio of future NBA players on their front line when they smacked around Kentucky and Arkansas in Baton Rouge last week.
Had they finally turned their season around? Four wins in five games, two of which came against top 50 RPI teams and a third against a top 100 RPI. They had finally figured it out!
Or … they had finally played four home games in a five game stretch.
The Tigers lost on Thursday night. At Georgia. By 13. It’s their third loss to a team outside the RPI top 100 in the last month.
For what it’s worth, LSU has lost their last three road games. Five of their last nine games are on the road. That win over Kentucky is only going to get them so far.
THE REST OF WEDNESDAY’S BUBBLE ACTION:
- Oregon (RPI: 44, KenPom: 34) had a chance to pick off No. 2 Arizona and give themselves their marquee win. Instead, you’re looking at a team that has lost seven of nine and whose only top 50 win is against BYU.
- Arizona State (RPI: 47, KenPom: 31) picked up a win over Oregon State that probably keeps them on the right side of the bubble for now. The game against Arizona next Friday looms large, however. They need that marquee win.
- BYU (RPI: 41, KenPom: 49) the Cougars beat up on Santa Clara on Thursday night, which is less a good win than avoiding a bad loss. BYU has already lost four games to teams that have RPIs higher than 100.
- Saint Mary’s (RPI: 62, KenPom: 68) beat Loyola Marymount, but they have a lot of work to do before they lock up a bid and not many chances to do it.
- SMU (RPI: 42, KenPom: 26) avoided what would have been a bad loss to Temple at home. They only have three top 100 wins, but they have four games left against to 50 opponents.
- Belmont (RPI: 68, KenPom: 127) outlasted Murray State, keeping their slim hopes of an at-large bid alive.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)