Feb 7, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
Drexel junior forward Kazembe Abif will miss the remainder of the season due to a fracture in his left hand, the school announced on Friday evening.
Abif suffered the injury in practice on Thursday. He is slated to undergo surgery next week.
It’s been far from an easy season for Abif. Prior to suffered the fracture in his hand, he missed five games during January with a sprained knee.
There may not be a team that has been hit with the injury bug quite like Drexel this season:
Abif is the second Drexel starter to be lost for the season. Damion Lee…was lost for the year with a knee injury in November. Prior to Saturday’s game with James Madison, Drexel has accumulated 33 games missed due to injury during the 2013-14 season. Lee has missed 17, while Abif has missed six. Senior Goran Pantovic has missed the last six games due to a hand injury and remains out indefinitely. Earlier in January, both starters Dartaye Ruffin and Tavon Allen were out two games due to injuries.
The season began so promising for Bruiser Flint’s squad. The Dragons got out to a 7-2 start with their only losses coming in very competitive showings against UCLA and Arizona — Abif missed the Arizona game with a concussion. Since then, it’s been a struggle just to put five healthy bodies on the floor.
For the season, Abif is averaging 7.2 points and 6.6 rebounds.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)