Feb 7, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Last spring Andrew Smith wrapped up a four-year career at Butler, averaging 11.3 points and 6.1 rebounds per game as a senior for a program that made three NCAA tournament appearances during his time at the school. For his career Smith, who played just under five minutes per game as a freshman, averaged 8.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.
The improvements made throughout his college career put Andrew in a position where he could play professionally, landing a contract with BC Neptunas, a professional team in Lithuania. But Smith’s time with the team was cut short for health reasons, as he was diagnosed with non-Hodgskin’s lymphoma after playing just five games for BC Neptunas.
But an adventure that was supposed to kick off our marriage into a whirlwind of experience and culture was cut short when we were sat down at our kitchen table in Lithuania and were told there was a sizable tumor taking shape inside of Andrew. Shock, dismay, sadness, fear, and an emergency flight home were our next 36 hours. We had dreamt of the joyous day of setting foot on US ground once again, but this is certainly not what we had pictured. It was hard to be excited about reuniting with our loved ones because we knew that those hugs would be brief before heading straight to the hospital from O’Hare.
Smith finished his Butler career ranked in the top 25 of the school’s all-time scoring (25th) and rebounding (12th) lists. News of Smith’s diagnosis resulting in an outpouring of support, with members of the Butler community including former coaches and teammates and former competitors (including Xavier head coach Chris Mack and Indiana head coach Tom Crean) sending out positive messages via Twitter.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)