Feb 7, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Trek to 3,000: Doug McDermott’s historic hunt at college hoops legend (CBS Sports)
Creighton senior forward Doug McDermott has put together one of the most successful careers in recent college basketball history, and he’s approaching the 3,000-point mark. If McDermott can reach that milestone he’ll be the eighth player in the history of college basketball to do so.
Cooney’s burden, Walker’s debut and early All-American team and more (Sports Illustrated)
In the latest edition of Luke Winn’s power rankings, points of analysis include the importance of Trevor Cooney’s three-point shooting to Syracuse, how teams defend Michigan’s Nik Stauskas in pick and roll situations and Cincinnati’s stingy defense.
Walker’s debut emotional for those who know him best (Gainesville Sun)
Florida freshman forward Chris Walker made his long-awaited college debut on Tuesday night against Missouri, and while the McDonald’s All-American still has work to do there were also obvious signs that he can help the Gators. And given the road he’s traveled to get to Gainesville, it’s amazing that Walker’s made it this far.
Anthony Ireland missed out on glory (Los Angeles Times)
Now a senior at Loyola Marymount, guard Anthony Ireland has racked up some impressive stats at the WCC program. And it’s safe to say that he’ll leave the school as a player highly regarded throughout the WCC. Unfortunately for Ireland and the LMU program, this hasn’t resulted in more wins for the Lions.
Marquette’s Williams a positive force for children (CBS Sports)
Marquette head coach Buzz Williams may be known for the energy he exudes on the sidelines, but the wins and losses are just a part of the equation. Williams has also used his job as a platform to help those who need assistance the most, especially children with special needs through the Buzz’s Bunch organization.
This story focuses on the NBA, with all of its franchises now making use of the SportsVu project that makes use of cameras throughout the court to learn the value of every possession. So what does this have to do with college basketball? Duke installed SportsVu just before the start of this season, and it may not be long until other high-major programs consider doing the same.
Keeping the faith with St. John’s (Fox Sports)
On the heels of their win at Providence earlier this week, St. John’s showed more signs that they have the ability to climb out of the hole they dug for themselves to start Big East play. While reaching the NCAA tournament remains a long shot, it may not be wise to rule the Red Storm out.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)