Feb 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
No. 9 Michigan State was forced to play without starting point guard Keith Appling on Thursday night, with Appling being forced to miss the game due to a right wrist injury he’s been dealing with for quite some time. The Spartans took care of Penn State without Appling, with Kenny Kaminski scoring 19 points, Denzel Valentine adding a double-double (11 points, 11 rebounds and six assists) and Adreian Payne scoring 12 points in his first game in nearly a month.
But Michigan State’s trip to Wisconsin for a game with the reeling Badgers Sunday afternoon is a different matter, with the Badgers looking to get back to being an incredibly difficult team to beat at the Kohl Center. Bo Ryan’s Badgers have lost their last three games at home, with that being the first such streak during Ryan’s tenure.
Given the Badgers’ talent (and need for a win) the fact that, according to MLive.com, he’s unsure of when Appling will be able to return doesn’t help Izzo as he prepares his team for this difficult test.
“I have no idea,” Izzo said. “This has been the most frustrating. It’s beyond disgusting. I have no timeframe. I know he won’t practice tomorrow. Whether he does on Saturday or plays Sunday or whether we’re going (to Wisconsin) without him. I wish I could tell you. If I knew, I’d tell you.”
Appling, currently averaging 15.0 points and 4.9 assists per game, is a player the Spartans need to have on the floor for the stretch run if they’re to contend for a national title. And as we’ve seen with the way in which Izzo handled Payne’s (foot injury) status, it’s unlikely that the point guard returns to the court before he gets back to full strength.
Sunday’s game is an important one, as Michigan State’s tied for first place in the Big Ten with Michigan, so it would be good to have Appling available. But that will only happen if he’s healthy enough to contribute without risking further injury.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Arizona, Michigan State and Providence all reached last season’s NCAA tournament.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
Who is the most clutch player in the country?
Nov 20, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
The 2014 Maui Invitational kicks off on Monday.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
I cannot respect your intelligence if you think Kentucky beats Philly. I just can’t do it.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
The last two years, Wichita State, UConn and Kentucky have all made the Final Four as teams seeded outside the top six.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
You have to love early morning basketball.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Sad: One of the sport’s most notorious coaches is struggling with his health.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
All of today’s college hoops action.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
There’s more to Shaka Smart than meets the eye.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Will we ever see Butler’s head coach on the sideline again?
Nov 20, 2014, 1:05 AM EST
It was a quiet night on the college hoops front, but one ranked team went down.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:53 AM EST
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was the spark plug for a team that has a lot of progress to make offensively.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Jakeenan Gant has yet to play in a game for Missouri.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Now that is hops.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
This is a huge win for Creighton and for the Big East as a whole.
Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
Come on, Toby.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
Apologies won’t get Tom Crean off the hot seat, but at least they acknowledged their mistakes.
Nov 19, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Derek Ogbeide’s been praised for his ability as a defender and rebounder, areas Georgia will need to address with two of their front court mainstays being seniors.
Nov 19, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
It’s not the same as last night, but there are some good basketball games scheduled for Wednesday.
Nov 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Who will be this years Marcus Foster and Isaiah Taylor?
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 13
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (15)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)