Feb 8, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Marcus Foster is from the state of Texas.
He wasn’t recruited by the big boys in his home state, however, not after a tough summer before his senior year dropped him out of the top 100 rankings. When it was time for Foster to pick schools, it essentially came down to Kansas State and Creighton, who was still a member of the Missouri Valley then.
It makes you wonder: does Foster have an axe to grind?
He played like it on Saturday, as he led the Wildcats to a dominating, 74-57 win over No. 15 Texas in Bramlage Coliseum on Saturday afternoon. He finished with 34 points on 13-for-16 shooting, helping the Wildcats jump out to a 25-9 lead in the first 12 minutes. Texas never got close the rest of the way, and Bruce Weber’s club picked up a win that they desperately needed.
Kansas State had lost three of their last four games. They were sitting just one game above .500 in conference play, and with a visit from Kansas coming on Monday, the Wildcats were desperately trying to avoid falling into the bottom half of the conference.
They did that, and some.
As far as Texas is concerned, I’m not sure that this loss is more than a by-product of the road on conference play. Last week, they beat the Jayhawks by 15 at home, the only loss that Kansas has suffered in league play. A team doesn’t change that much in seven days.
Hopefully it is a wake-up call, however, because the Longhorns didn’t look very impressive in their win over TCU this week. It’s easy to get complacent when you see your ranking shoot up into the top 15. Getting whipped on the road is a good way to get brought back down to earth.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)