Feb 8, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Melvin Ejim took 24 shots on Saturday afternoon.
He made 20 of them.
He finished with 48 points and 18 boards in an 84-69 win over TCU.
Not a bad night.
The 48 points that Ejim scored tied him with BYU’s Tyler Haws and Texas Southern’s Aaric Murray for the most points scored in a game this season. The 48 points also stands as a Big 12 record. The last time anyone in Division I basketball or the NBA finished with 48 points and 18 boards was in 2003 when Shaq pulled off the feat. No one has posted numbers like that in college since 1996, although one player did come close:
Xavier’s David West had 47 points and 18 boards exactly 11 years to the day from Ejim’s performance.
Again, not a bad night:
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)