Feb 8, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Kansas finally lost a Big 12 game last Saturday at Texas, but after a win against Baylor and another home win over West Virginia, the No. 8 Jayhawks are back in control of things and control their own destiny in the conference.
Kansas was impressive on Saturday in an 83-69 win over West Virginia in Lawrence, as they limited turnovers, took good shots and had solid point guard play from freshman backup Frank Mason and a good closing stretch from Naadir Tharpe.
Mason had five points and five assists — with no turnovers — off the bench for the Jayhawks while Tharpe had five points, four assists and one turnover.
When Kansas gets a near double-double performance with one turnover from the point guard position, they are likely going to win.
Wayne Selden had a solid outing with 17 points, looking confident attacking the basket and scoring in a variety of ways. Andrew Wiggins had 19 points and was a menace on defense on Eron Harris in the second half.
As long as the Jayhawks stay steady with the ball, limit turnovers and shoot good shots like they did against West Virginia, they’ll be very tough to beat.
West Virginia played a pretty good game on the road on Saturday. Juwan Staten has really picked up his play at the point guard this season and he’s a terror in the open floor. Eron Harris has a smoothness and a confidence catching the ball off of curls right now and he’s getting in the lane and hitting jumpers.
But this Kansas team is filled with pros and when they move the ball and play smart basketball, you aren’t beating them in Lawrence.
Kansas now has to go into the Sunflower State Showdown at Kansas State on Monday and face a very confident Wildcat team. That should be yet another great Big 12 game.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)