Feb 8, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
No. 15 Texas entered Saturday’s game at Kansas State riding a seven-game win streak, with Rick Barnes’ team not only well on its way to earning an NCAA tournament bid also sitting just a game behind Kansas in the Big 12 standings. But the Longhorns ran into a buzz saw in Manhattan, with Marcus Foster going off and the Wildcats rolling to the 74-57 victory.
But the loss may not be the biggest problem for Texas moving forward. Junior forward Jonathan Holmes left the game in the first half with a right knee injury, and the severity of the injury won’t be known until he undergoes an MRI on Sunday according to ESPN’s Andy Katx.
To say the least, if Holmes were to be lost for a significant amount of time that would be a critical blow for Texas to absorb.
Holmes is currently Texas’ leading scorer and second-leading rebounder, posting averages of 13.1 points and 7.4 rebounds per contest. In the Longhorns’ 59-54 win at TCU on Tuesday night Holmes put together one of his most productive outings of the season, scoring 20 points and grabbing 16 rebounds.
In the win over Kansas last Saturday he scored 22 points and even with the strides made by sophomores Prince Ibeh and Cameron Ridley, Holmes is a player Texas can ill-afford to lose. Texas hosts No. 19 Oklahoma State on Tuesday night.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)