Feb 8, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
No. 15 Texas entered Saturday’s game at Kansas State riding a seven-game win streak, with Rick Barnes’ team not only well on its way to earning an NCAA tournament bid also sitting just a game behind Kansas in the Big 12 standings. But the Longhorns ran into a buzz saw in Manhattan, with Marcus Foster going off and the Wildcats rolling to the 74-57 victory.
But the loss may not be the biggest problem for Texas moving forward. Junior forward Jonathan Holmes left the game in the first half with a right knee injury, and the severity of the injury won’t be known until he undergoes an MRI on Sunday according to ESPN’s Andy Katx.
To say the least, if Holmes were to be lost for a significant amount of time that would be a critical blow for Texas to absorb.
Holmes is currently Texas’ leading scorer and second-leading rebounder, posting averages of 13.1 points and 7.4 rebounds per contest. In the Longhorns’ 59-54 win at TCU on Tuesday night Holmes put together one of his most productive outings of the season, scoring 20 points and grabbing 16 rebounds.
In the win over Kansas last Saturday he scored 22 points and even with the strides made by sophomores Prince Ibeh and Cameron Ridley, Holmes is a player Texas can ill-afford to lose. Texas hosts No. 19 Oklahoma State on Tuesday night.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)