Feb 9, 2014, 1:42 AM EST
In the waning moments of Oklahoma State’s 65-61 loss at Texas Tech, Marcus Smart went flying into the stands after making a block that could have potentially kept the game alive.
A fan in the crowd said or did something to Smart that caused him to lose control of his emotions, pushing the fan before yelling at anyone and everyone he could find.
This has been a tough season for the Cowboys. Originally thought to be a potential contender for the Big 12 title, the Cowboys have lost five of their last six games and all of a sudden are in a position where simply earning a big to the NCAA tournament may be in jeopardy.
Smart’s lost his temper before this season, but this was simply unacceptable. I have no doubt that the fan said or did something to Smart to prompt the reaction. It probably was vile, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the guy deserved to get punched in the face instead of simply being on the receiving end of a two-handed shove.
But you simply cannot shove a fan if you are a player. Glare at him. Yell back. Drop every curse word you can think of. But do not EVER physically contact a fan, especially when the video — which was played live on National Television — will clearly show you being the aggressor.
Even if, as has been reported, it is a white fan calling Smart, who is black, the N-word.
The question now isn’t whether or not Smart will be suspended, it’s how long he will be suspended for. My guess would be four games, but I would not be surprised if he doesn’t suit up again in regular season play.
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)