Feb 9, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
No. 9 Michigan State was without starting point guard Keith Appling for the second consecutive game on Sunday, with the senior sitting out due to a nagging right wrist injury. While Travis Trice played well in Appling’s stead in the 60-58 loss at Wisconsin, the Spartans are clearly at their best when Appling is running the show.
With this being the case the question of when Appling will be able to return to the floor is one that hangs over a Michigan State team that has the potential to win a national title. Following the game head coach Tom Izzo addressed Appling’s injury situation, and he doesn’t expect to have Appling back when the Spartans host Northwestern on Thursday night.
Currently averaging 15.0 points and 4.9 assists per game, Appling’s overall field goal percentage (45.3%) is the best of his college career and he’s also shooting 40.5% from beyond the arc. Michigan State’s next three games are against Northwestern, Nebraska and Purdue, with the latter being the lone road tilt.
The Wildcats and Cornhuskers have proven to be formidable teams and the same can be said for Purdue. Following that three-game stretch Michigan State visits No. 10 Michigan (February 23), and for the Spartans it would be nice to have Appling back in the lineup for that one.
But that will only happen if he’s healthy, and given Michigan’s State lack of luck with injuries this season it’s probably best to not make any assumptions as to when Appling will be able to return.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)