Feb 9, 2014, 6:52 PM EST
On Sunday evening the Big 12 Conference announced that Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart would be suspended for the next three games after shoving a fan with 6.2 seconds remaining in the Cowboys’ 65-61 loss at Texas Tech on Saturday night. While Smart alleged that the fan, Jeff Orr, directed a racial slur towards him Orr denied the allegation.
On Sunday Texas Tech issued a statement on the matter, with Orr apologizing for his role in the incident while also once again denying that he used a racial slur. Orr has volunteered to not attend another Texas Tech basketball game, either home or away, this season as a result of his actions.
“I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men’s Basketball program,” Orr said in the statement. “My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech – a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a “piece of crap” but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created.”
In the above video released by Texas Tech the school isolated Orr’s words, in which he referred to Smart as a “piece of crap.”
Orr was profiled by the school in 2010 as its “number one fan,” but both John Lucas III (Oklahoma State) and Bryan Davis (Texas A&M, before their move to the SEC) tweeted about their “encounters” with Orr during their respective college careers in the aftermath of the Orr/Smart confrontation.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)