Feb 9, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
On Sunday evening the Big 12 Conference announced that Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart would be suspended for the next three games after shoving a fan with 6.2 seconds remaining in the Cowboys’ 65-61 loss at Texas Tech on Saturday night. While Smart alleged that the fan, Jeff Orr, directed a racial slur towards him Orr denied the allegation.
On Sunday Texas Tech issued a statement on the matter, with Orr apologizing for his role in the incident while also once again denying that he used a racial slur. Orr has volunteered to not attend another Texas Tech basketball game, either home or away, this season as a result of his actions.
“I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men’s Basketball program,” Orr said in the statement. “My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech – a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a “piece of crap” but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created.”
In the above video released by Texas Tech the school isolated Orr’s words, in which he referred to Smart as a “piece of crap.”
Orr was profiled by the school in 2010 as its “number one fan,” but both John Lucas III (Oklahoma State) and Bryan Davis (Texas A&M, before their move to the SEC) tweeted about their “encounters” with Orr during their respective college careers in the aftermath of the Orr/Smart confrontation.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (15)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)