Feb 9, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
On Sunday evening the Big 12 Conference announced that Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart would be suspended for the next three games after shoving a fan with 6.2 seconds remaining in the Cowboys’ 65-61 loss at Texas Tech on Saturday night. While Smart alleged that the fan, Jeff Orr, directed a racial slur towards him Orr denied the allegation.
On Sunday Texas Tech issued a statement on the matter, with Orr apologizing for his role in the incident while also once again denying that he used a racial slur. Orr has volunteered to not attend another Texas Tech basketball game, either home or away, this season as a result of his actions.
“I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men’s Basketball program,” Orr said in the statement. “My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech – a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a “piece of crap” but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created.”
In the above video released by Texas Tech the school isolated Orr’s words, in which he referred to Smart as a “piece of crap.”
Orr was profiled by the school in 2010 as its “number one fan,” but both John Lucas III (Oklahoma State) and Bryan Davis (Texas A&M, before their move to the SEC) tweeted about their “encounters” with Orr during their respective college careers in the aftermath of the Orr/Smart confrontation.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)