Feb 9, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
At the beginning of the week No. 4 Wichita State’s record stood at 23-0; one of two undefeated teams remaining in Division I, off to its best start in school history, a year removed from reaching the Final Four.
The Shockers put its unblemished record on the line, twice, this week on the road on Wednesday night against Indiana State — the second-best team in the Missouri Valley Conference — and again on Saturday night at Northern Iowa.
“Back to back, that’s a chore for anyone,” Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall told reporters after the game, according to the Wichita Eagle. “I challenge anyone that wants to talk about our league and our schedule to take that road trip and come out 2-0.”
Clearing the toughest two-game stint on the season gives Wichita State a 70 percent chance to end the regular season unbeaten, according to kenpom.com and in it’s six remaining games (three on the road), Wichita State faces teams with a combined 26-42 recod in the MVC. The Shockers also get Missouri State, the best team out of those six games, at home.
Even if they do run the table, the Shockers still won’t be a lock for a No. 1 seed given the resumes Syracuse, Arizona, Florida, Kansas and Michigan State will have in March. But Wichita State has a case. It will most certainly have its doubters, which might actually help the Shockers and their “Play Angry” mentality.
Wichita State puts its undefeated season on the line again Tuesday night at home against Southern Illinois.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 2
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (5)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)