Feb 9, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
At the beginning of the week No. 4 Wichita State’s record stood at 23-0; one of two undefeated teams remaining in Division I, off to its best start in school history, a year removed from reaching the Final Four.
The Shockers put its unblemished record on the line, twice, this week on the road on Wednesday night against Indiana State — the second-best team in the Missouri Valley Conference — and again on Saturday night at Northern Iowa.
“Back to back, that’s a chore for anyone,” Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall told reporters after the game, according to the Wichita Eagle. “I challenge anyone that wants to talk about our league and our schedule to take that road trip and come out 2-0.”
Clearing the toughest two-game stint on the season gives Wichita State a 70 percent chance to end the regular season unbeaten, according to kenpom.com and in it’s six remaining games (three on the road), Wichita State faces teams with a combined 26-42 recod in the MVC. The Shockers also get Missouri State, the best team out of those six games, at home.
Even if they do run the table, the Shockers still won’t be a lock for a No. 1 seed given the resumes Syracuse, Arizona, Florida, Kansas and Michigan State will have in March. But Wichita State has a case. It will most certainly have its doubters, which might actually help the Shockers and their “Play Angry” mentality.
Wichita State puts its undefeated season on the line again Tuesday night at home against Southern Illinois.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)