Feb 9, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
At the beginning of the week No. 4 Wichita State’s record stood at 23-0; one of two undefeated teams remaining in Division I, off to its best start in school history, a year removed from reaching the Final Four.
The Shockers put its unblemished record on the line, twice, this week on the road on Wednesday night against Indiana State — the second-best team in the Missouri Valley Conference — and again on Saturday night at Northern Iowa.
“Back to back, that’s a chore for anyone,” Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall told reporters after the game, according to the Wichita Eagle. “I challenge anyone that wants to talk about our league and our schedule to take that road trip and come out 2-0.”
Clearing the toughest two-game stint on the season gives Wichita State a 70 percent chance to end the regular season unbeaten, according to kenpom.com and in it’s six remaining games (three on the road), Wichita State faces teams with a combined 26-42 recod in the MVC. The Shockers also get Missouri State, the best team out of those six games, at home.
Even if they do run the table, the Shockers still won’t be a lock for a No. 1 seed given the resumes Syracuse, Arizona, Florida, Kansas and Michigan State will have in March. But Wichita State has a case. It will most certainly have its doubters, which might actually help the Shockers and their “Play Angry” mentality.
Wichita State puts its undefeated season on the line again Tuesday night at home against Southern Illinois.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)