Feb 9, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
At the beginning of the week No. 4 Wichita State’s record stood at 23-0; one of two undefeated teams remaining in Division I, off to its best start in school history, a year removed from reaching the Final Four.
The Shockers put its unblemished record on the line, twice, this week on the road on Wednesday night against Indiana State — the second-best team in the Missouri Valley Conference — and again on Saturday night at Northern Iowa.
“Back to back, that’s a chore for anyone,” Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall told reporters after the game, according to the Wichita Eagle. “I challenge anyone that wants to talk about our league and our schedule to take that road trip and come out 2-0.”
Clearing the toughest two-game stint on the season gives Wichita State a 70 percent chance to end the regular season unbeaten, according to kenpom.com and in it’s six remaining games (three on the road), Wichita State faces teams with a combined 26-42 recod in the MVC. The Shockers also get Missouri State, the best team out of those six games, at home.
Even if they do run the table, the Shockers still won’t be a lock for a No. 1 seed given the resumes Syracuse, Arizona, Florida, Kansas and Michigan State will have in March. But Wichita State has a case. It will most certainly have its doubters, which might actually help the Shockers and their “Play Angry” mentality.
Wichita State puts its undefeated season on the line again Tuesday night at home against Southern Illinois.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)