Feb 9, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
At the beginning of the week No. 4 Wichita State’s record stood at 23-0; one of two undefeated teams remaining in Division I, off to its best start in school history, a year removed from reaching the Final Four.
The Shockers put its unblemished record on the line, twice, this week on the road on Wednesday night against Indiana State — the second-best team in the Missouri Valley Conference — and again on Saturday night at Northern Iowa.
“Back to back, that’s a chore for anyone,” Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall told reporters after the game, according to the Wichita Eagle. “I challenge anyone that wants to talk about our league and our schedule to take that road trip and come out 2-0.”
Clearing the toughest two-game stint on the season gives Wichita State a 70 percent chance to end the regular season unbeaten, according to kenpom.com and in it’s six remaining games (three on the road), Wichita State faces teams with a combined 26-42 recod in the MVC. The Shockers also get Missouri State, the best team out of those six games, at home.
Even if they do run the table, the Shockers still won’t be a lock for a No. 1 seed given the resumes Syracuse, Arizona, Florida, Kansas and Michigan State will have in March. But Wichita State has a case. It will most certainly have its doubters, which might actually help the Shockers and their “Play Angry” mentality.
Wichita State puts its undefeated season on the line again Tuesday night at home against Southern Illinois.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)