Feb 10, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Grambling State ended numerous losing streaks on Monday night as the Tigers knocked off Alcorn State 95-80 to earn a SWAC home win. Grambling State hadn’t won a game against a Division I opponent since March 4, 2012 when they knocked off Alabama A&M for a 75-72 overtime win.
The win for Grambling State snapped a 45-game Division I losing streak and 28-game losing streak in the SWAC for the Tigers. Grambling State defeated Central Baptist earlier in the year to snap a 32-game overall losing streak as the Tigers finished 0-28 during the 2012-13 season. Grambling State fans stormed the court after the win and it had to be a unique and relieving feeling for people that root for the Tigers.
Grambling State is now 2-18 on the season — 1-10 in the SWAC — but the pressure of ending that losing streak is probably a huge relief for everyone involved with the Grambling State men’s basketball program. Can the Grambling State men’s basketball team start a new streak, a winning streak, now? The Tigers will have their shot at two straight wins on Saturday at Texas Southern.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)