Feb 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
During Minnesota’s home Big Ten win over Indiana on Saturday, you could clearly see Louisville head coach Rick Pitino sitting behind the Minnesota bench while his son, Richard, coached the Golden Gophers to victory as a first-year coach at the school.
The elder Pitino is a familiar face and a national-title winning coach, but you probably noticed him on television, behind the Minnesota bench, because his other son, Ryan, was wearing a chicken suit next to his father in support of his brother Richard.
Commentators on the Big Ten Network broadcast quickly questioned the chicken suit and asked if someone had lost a bet, but Ryan Pitino explained the rational for his decision in an interview with ESPN 680′s “The Deener Show”.
“If you’re going to ‘The Barn,’ why not wear a chicken suit?” Ryan Pitino told Deener.
Ryan arranged to wear the chicken suit through Walker Price, a former Louisville video manager that now works at Minnesota as Richard Pitino’s recruiting and operations coordinator. Ryan Pitino picked up the suit and drew the ire of his father, who wasn’t prepared for the chicken suit.
Richard wasn’t exactly all-for the idea either, but Ryan would not be dissuaded by his family:
“I go, ‘I’ve got a chicken suit I’m going to wear. Just don’t worry about it,’ ” Ryan told ESPN 680. “He goes, ‘No you’re not. You can’t do that.’ So I did it, and it turned out to be a pretty funny thing.”
Ryan added: “He noticed right when he walked out for the National Anthem. He gave me a little head nod like, ‘What the hell are you doing?’ He enjoyed it after the win, of course.”
The chicken suit may have been semi-controversial in the Pitino household, but Minnesota got the win and Ryan is happy with the joke that he played, so all’s well that ends well.
(H/T: The Courier-Journal)
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)