Feb 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
There are 36 days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before.
West Virginia (RPI: 70, KenPom: 47) is shaping up to be one of the most interesting bubble teams this season.
Let’s start with the obvious: the Mountaineers already have ten losses on the season, which is not a good thing when you consider that their best non-conference win is against Williams & Mary, and that just so happens to be their only top-200 non-conference win.
But Bob Huggins has orchestrated a turnaround, as the ‘Eers are now 7-5 in the Big 12 with wins over Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor on the road and, on Monday, a 25 point beatdown of Iowa State, a top ten team in the RPI. Those are good wins. And with eight of their ten losses coming against top 50 opponents, they’re in better shape than you probably think.
The loss to Virginia Tech will hurt, but four of their last six games coming against top 25 opponents, splitting those games — at Texas, at Iowa State, at Oklahoma, Kansas — and beating Baylor and TCU will get them into a position where they have four top 25 wins, five top 50 wins and seven top 100 wins.
Look at some of the teams on the bubble right now. That should be enough.
THE REST OF WEDNESDAY’S BUBBLE ACTION
- Georgetown (RPI: 60, KenPom: 50) is all of a sudden playing like a tournament team, notching their fourth straight win — and their fifth top 100 win — on Monday night over Providence. Four of their last six are on the road and three of their last four are against top 50 opponents.
- Providence (RPI: 50, KenPom: 56) lost to Georgetown on Monday, their fourth loss in the last five games. Six top 100 wins are keeping them in the conversation, but the Friars are going to need to turn this thing around quickly.
- Florida State (RPI: 52, KenPom: 39) has just two top 50 wins, both of which took place before Christmas. They have just two more top 100 wins and lost to Miami on Monday night.
- Maryland (RPI: 50, KenPom: 60) lost to Virginia, which cost them a chance at a top 20 win. What’s worse is that both Providence and Florida State lost as well. Those are Maryland’s two best wins, and entering the day, they were 50th and 52nd in the RPI. Not good.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)