Feb 11, 2014, 6:33 PM EST
One of the two top remaining available seniors ended his recruitment on Tuesday evening as Findlay Prep (Nev.) shooting guard Rashad Vaughn announced he had committed to UNLV on CBS Sports Network.
Vaughn, a native of Golden Valley, Minn., selected the Runnin’ Rebels over four other finalists — Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina — though the consensus is that it came down to UNLV and Iowa State.
Last season, Vaughn attended Robbinsdale Cooper High (Minn.) but decided to transfer to basketball powerhouse Findlay for his final prep season. UNLV has reportedly become the favorite since Vaughn’s move to Findlay, given that the UNLV campus is less than 20 minutes from where he takes classes at the Henderson School, and Findlay’s history with the Rebels. The school is named after Cliff Findlay, a UNLV booster, after all.
UNLV ranks dead last in the Mountain West Conference in 3-point shooting, an area the 6-foot-5 Vaughn can help improve in the 2014-2015 season. Vaughn joins St. Frances (Md.) forward Dwayne Morgan and Wilbraham & Monson (Mass.) center Goodluck Okonoboh in the Rebels’ Class of 2014. Morgan and Okonoboh provide Dave Rice with two talented defenders next year.
Vaughn is the highest rated of the three recruits, ranked as the No. 7 overall player in the Class of 2014 by Rivals. Morgan is listed at 15 followed by Okonoboh at 32.
UNLV loses only two seniors this season — one being Kevin Olekaibe — while returning the likes of leading scorer Bryce Dejean-Jones, top rebounder Roscoe Smith and Khem Birch. Couple that with an impressive recruiting class, and Rice and his Rebels should face hefty expectations next season.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)