Feb 11, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Kansas State 85, No. 7 Kansas 82, OT
Another Monday, another Big 12 overtime game. Kansas State held off Kansas on Monday as the Wildcats were just 3-48 against the Jayhawks since 1994 entering the night’s contest. Marcus Foster and the Wilcats held off a furious nine-point comeback from Kansas in the game’s final two minutes to force overtime, but Kansas State continued to remain the aggressor in overtime and ultimately held on for the win.
1) Grambling State 95, Alcorn State 80
The Tigers snapped a nearly two-year streak of games against Division I opponents with their SWAC win on Monday night as Grambling State is finally in the win column against a DI team for the first time since the 2011-12 season. Grambling State hadn’t won a game against a Division I opponent since defeating Alabama A&M in overtime on March 2nd, 2012.
2) West Virginia 102, No. 11 Iowa State 77
It was a huge home win for the surging Mountaineers as Bob Huggins’ bunch looks really good all of the sudden. West Virginia had at least 50 points in both halves on Monday and they held Melvin Ejim to only six points after Ejim went for 48 points on Saturday.
3) Georgetown 83, Providence 71
Georgetown looked to be in serious trouble after five straight Big East losses, but JT3’s ballclub has responded with four straight wins as Jabril Trawick continues to work his way back into the rotation for Georgetown. The Hoyas have a tough six-game stretch ahead of them in the Big East, but they’re playing far better ball as we enter the stretch run of conference play.
1) Virginia senior Joe Harris stepped up with 16 of his 19 points in the second half to lead the Cavaliers to a 61-53 win over Maryland. Virginia has won eight straight games.
2) Southern held off Jackson State, 68-63, to win its 11th game in 12 tries and move to 10-1 in the SWAC. Southern holds a two-game SWAC lead.
3) Torrey Craig went for 22 points and 15 rebounds in USC Upstate’s 75-63 win over East Tennessee State. Craig surpassed the 2,000 career point mark in the win and also had a ridiculous alley-oop.
1) Florida State might have had its bubble burst on Monday with a 77-73 home loss to Miami. The Seminoles dropped to 14-10 and 5-7 in the ACC with the loss.
2) Bad loss for Towson (16-9, 7-3 CAA) on Monday as the Tigers fell to UNC-Wilmington, who was 0-10 in the CAA entering the weather-postponed contest.
3) Iowa State was 4-for-23 from the three-point line in a loss to West Virginia on Monday. The Cyclones were badly outplayed for much of the road loss.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)