Feb 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
There was a scary moment in the crosstown rivalry between Morgan State and Coppin State on Monday night.
With just under 14 minutes left to go in the first half, Morgan State’s Thair Heath went up for a dunk while Coppin State’s Michael Murray tried to block the shot. The two collided in mid-air and Heath landed hard on his shoulder, head and neck. According to Morgan State’s writeup of the game, he was “unresponsive from the waist up for about 20 minutes before the EMT crew arrived to take him to the hospital.”
Heath was wheeled off on a stretcher and taken to the Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland where he was released late Monday night. X-rays came back negative, but he’ll be reassessed by the team doctor later this week.
It’s unclear when he’ll return to action.
Heath was averaging 2.1 points and 1.2 rebounds in 6.6 minutes of action.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)