Feb 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
There was a scary moment in the crosstown rivalry between Morgan State and Coppin State on Monday night.
With just under 14 minutes left to go in the first half, Morgan State’s Thair Heath went up for a dunk while Coppin State’s Michael Murray tried to block the shot. The two collided in mid-air and Heath landed hard on his shoulder, head and neck. According to Morgan State’s writeup of the game, he was “unresponsive from the waist up for about 20 minutes before the EMT crew arrived to take him to the hospital.”
Heath was wheeled off on a stretcher and taken to the Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland where he was released late Monday night. X-rays came back negative, but he’ll be reassessed by the team doctor later this week.
It’s unclear when he’ll return to action.
Heath was averaging 2.1 points and 1.2 rebounds in 6.6 minutes of action.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)