Feb 12, 2014, 10:04 AM EST
There are 32 days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before.
Oklahoma State (RPI: 36, KenPom: 29) is going to be an interesting bubble case come Selection Sunday. In the first game of Marcus Smart’s suspension, they were beaten down by a Texas team missing one of their starting forwards. That means that the Pokes have now lost five straight and six of their last seven, and they still have to play Oklahoma at home and at Baylor before Smart returns to the lineup.
What that means is that when their star point guard returns to the fold, this could be a team that sitting on a seven-game losing streak with a 4-9 record in the Big 12. That doesn’t exactly look like a bubble team.
But remember, the committee looks at suspensions the same way that they do injuries. They’ll look past the three games he missed which, ironically enough, means that it may be better to lose all three games without Smart than it would be to win one.
Now, Travis Ford’s club is going to have work to do once Smart returns to action. They play Kansas, Kansas State and at Iowa State in their last three games, and at the very least they’ll need to win two of those. Just don’t be surprised if Oklahoma State is able to sneak into the dance with a losing record in league play.
THE REST OF TUESDAY’S BUBBLE ACTION
- N.C. State (RPI: 51, KenPom: 76) is still alive after beating Wake Forest, but if Tennessee keeps losing, they’ll be without a top 50 RPI win. They’ll get chances against Syracuse and Pitt.
- Clemson (RPI: 68, KenPom: 54) has a win over Duke, which is keeping them in the conversation here. But that won’t be enough if they keep losing to the likes of Notre Dame, as they did Tuesday.
- Tennessee (RPI: 49, KenPom: 24) blew their last chance to pick up a marquee win before the SEC tournament when they lost to Florida. We wrote about it more extensively here.
- Ole Miss (RPI: 61, KenPom: 72) did exactly what they couldn’t afford to do last night, losing to Alabama on the road. It’s their second loss in the SEC to a team with an RPI in the triple digits. They have home games against Florida and Kentucky coming up. They have to get at least one of those.
- Marquette (RPI: 70, KenPom: 52) only has one really bad loss — at Butler — but with just one top 50 win now that Providence and Georgetown are both outside the top 50, the Golden Eagles, at 14-9, have a lot of work to do. They probably need to beat either Creighton or Villanova to have a real chance.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)