Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 AM EST
I love stories like this.
Marcus Paige, Leslie McDonald and the North Carolina basketball team treated a 12-year old fan named Anthony Hernandez who suffers from Emery Dreifuss Muscular Dystrophy to a day he’ll probably never forget.
Here’s the background, via One Carolina:
Earlier this school year, Anthony drew a picture for his teacher — the famous interlocking “N” and “C” logo that is synonymous with Carolina.
The drawing brought his teacher to tears, as she recognized the pain that it would have caused Anthony to complete the picture.
When Taylor Sharp ’16 — another Morganton native — received a text message from the teacher, he and Marcus Paige ’16 were taken aback, and saw an opportunity to give Anthony an unforgettable day at Carolina.
Anthony thought he was just going to get a tour of the campus. Little did he know that he’d be eating lunch with two of the team’s stars before getting the all-access, VIP treatment at practice.
The kicker? Anthony and his family have been given tickets to the game tonight, and the video will be played on the scoreboard of the Dean Dome at halftime.
Kudos to Paige, Sharp, McDonald and the entire UNC basketball program for making this happen.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)