Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
I love stories like this.
Marcus Paige, Leslie McDonald and the North Carolina basketball team treated a 12-year old fan named Anthony Hernandez who suffers from Emery Dreifuss Muscular Dystrophy to a day he’ll probably never forget.
Here’s the background, via One Carolina:
Earlier this school year, Anthony drew a picture for his teacher — the famous interlocking “N” and “C” logo that is synonymous with Carolina.
The drawing brought his teacher to tears, as she recognized the pain that it would have caused Anthony to complete the picture.
When Taylor Sharp ’16 — another Morganton native — received a text message from the teacher, he and Marcus Paige ’16 were taken aback, and saw an opportunity to give Anthony an unforgettable day at Carolina.
Anthony thought he was just going to get a tour of the campus. Little did he know that he’d be eating lunch with two of the team’s stars before getting the all-access, VIP treatment at practice.
The kicker? Anthony and his family have been given tickets to the game tonight, and the video will be played on the scoreboard of the Dean Dome at halftime.
Kudos to Paige, Sharp, McDonald and the entire UNC basketball program for making this happen.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)