Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
I love stories like this.
Marcus Paige, Leslie McDonald and the North Carolina basketball team treated a 12-year old fan named Anthony Hernandez who suffers from Emery Dreifuss Muscular Dystrophy to a day he’ll probably never forget.
Here’s the background, via One Carolina:
Earlier this school year, Anthony drew a picture for his teacher — the famous interlocking “N” and “C” logo that is synonymous with Carolina.
The drawing brought his teacher to tears, as she recognized the pain that it would have caused Anthony to complete the picture.
When Taylor Sharp ’16 — another Morganton native — received a text message from the teacher, he and Marcus Paige ’16 were taken aback, and saw an opportunity to give Anthony an unforgettable day at Carolina.
Anthony thought he was just going to get a tour of the campus. Little did he know that he’d be eating lunch with two of the team’s stars before getting the all-access, VIP treatment at practice.
The kicker? Anthony and his family have been given tickets to the game tonight, and the video will be played on the scoreboard of the Dean Dome at halftime.
Kudos to Paige, Sharp, McDonald and the entire UNC basketball program for making this happen.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)