Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
I love stories like this.
Marcus Paige, Leslie McDonald and the North Carolina basketball team treated a 12-year old fan named Anthony Hernandez who suffers from Emery Dreifuss Muscular Dystrophy to a day he’ll probably never forget.
Here’s the background, via One Carolina:
Earlier this school year, Anthony drew a picture for his teacher — the famous interlocking “N” and “C” logo that is synonymous with Carolina.
The drawing brought his teacher to tears, as she recognized the pain that it would have caused Anthony to complete the picture.
When Taylor Sharp ’16 — another Morganton native — received a text message from the teacher, he and Marcus Paige ’16 were taken aback, and saw an opportunity to give Anthony an unforgettable day at Carolina.
Anthony thought he was just going to get a tour of the campus. Little did he know that he’d be eating lunch with two of the team’s stars before getting the all-access, VIP treatment at practice.
The kicker? Anthony and his family have been given tickets to the game tonight, and the video will be played on the scoreboard of the Dean Dome at halftime.
Kudos to Paige, Sharp, McDonald and the entire UNC basketball program for making this happen.
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 1
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 3
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 8
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 84
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (84)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)