Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
I love stories like this.
Marcus Paige, Leslie McDonald and the North Carolina basketball team treated a 12-year old fan named Anthony Hernandez who suffers from Emery Dreifuss Muscular Dystrophy to a day he’ll probably never forget.
Here’s the background, via One Carolina:
Earlier this school year, Anthony drew a picture for his teacher — the famous interlocking “N” and “C” logo that is synonymous with Carolina.
The drawing brought his teacher to tears, as she recognized the pain that it would have caused Anthony to complete the picture.
When Taylor Sharp ’16 — another Morganton native — received a text message from the teacher, he and Marcus Paige ’16 were taken aback, and saw an opportunity to give Anthony an unforgettable day at Carolina.
Anthony thought he was just going to get a tour of the campus. Little did he know that he’d be eating lunch with two of the team’s stars before getting the all-access, VIP treatment at practice.
The kicker? Anthony and his family have been given tickets to the game tonight, and the video will be played on the scoreboard of the Dean Dome at halftime.
Kudos to Paige, Sharp, McDonald and the entire UNC basketball program for making this happen.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)