Feb 12, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
Although the Tulsa Golden Hurricane have an overall record of 11-12, Danny Manning’s team is within striking distance in the Conference USA race. With a 6-3 mark in league play Tulsa trails Southern Miss and UTEP by two games, and they’re just a game in the loss column behind Louisiana Tech and Middle Tennessee.
Unfortunately for Tulsa they’ll play Thursday’s game against East Carolina without a valuable reserve, as it was reported by the Tulsa World that senior guard Patrick Swilling Jr. has been suspended “pending a university disciplinary investigation and hearing.”
Swilling is currently averaging 8.6 points in 22.6 minutes per contest this season after averaging 10.7 points per game as a junior. Swilling has missed the last three games due to an unspecified injury, with Tulsa winning two of those three contests (losing at Louisiana Tech).
As for when Swilling will return to the court, Manning doesn’t seem to expect his senior guard to be available for either of the Golden Hurricane’s home games this week.
On Twitter on Tuesday, Swilling reported that he had gotten some “bad news.” When asked on Tuesday about the Swilling tweet, Manning replied only that Swilling was considered “doubtful” for the next two Conference USA games – Thursday’s meeting with East Carolina and Saturday’s contest with Old Dominion, both to be played at the Reynolds Center.
Next week Tulsa begins a three-game road trip, with games at Florida Atlantic and FIU preceding a trip to El Paso to take on UTEP February 27.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)