Feb 12, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
Although the Tulsa Golden Hurricane have an overall record of 11-12, Danny Manning’s team is within striking distance in the Conference USA race. With a 6-3 mark in league play Tulsa trails Southern Miss and UTEP by two games, and they’re just a game in the loss column behind Louisiana Tech and Middle Tennessee.
Unfortunately for Tulsa they’ll play Thursday’s game against East Carolina without a valuable reserve, as it was reported by the Tulsa World that senior guard Patrick Swilling Jr. has been suspended “pending a university disciplinary investigation and hearing.”
Swilling is currently averaging 8.6 points in 22.6 minutes per contest this season after averaging 10.7 points per game as a junior. Swilling has missed the last three games due to an unspecified injury, with Tulsa winning two of those three contests (losing at Louisiana Tech).
As for when Swilling will return to the court, Manning doesn’t seem to expect his senior guard to be available for either of the Golden Hurricane’s home games this week.
On Twitter on Tuesday, Swilling reported that he had gotten some “bad news.” When asked on Tuesday about the Swilling tweet, Manning replied only that Swilling was considered “doubtful” for the next two Conference USA games – Thursday’s meeting with East Carolina and Saturday’s contest with Old Dominion, both to be played at the Reynolds Center.
Next week Tulsa begins a three-game road trip, with games at Florida Atlantic and FIU preceding a trip to El Paso to take on UTEP February 27.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)