Feb 13, 2014, 12:47 AM EST
For the second straight night, one of the Mountain West’s ‘other guys’ knocked off one of the big boys, as Boise State erased an 11-point second half deficit to knock off New Mexico, 71-70. Derrick Marks shot just 1-for-9 from the floor, but he had 11 points and eight assists and hit two free throws with 13.4 seconds left for the win.
Anthony Drmic scored 18 points and Thomas Bropleh scored all 14 off his points in the second half for the Broncos, who got a couple of clutch buckets about two games too late. They needed this when they blew a 13 point lead against San Diego State or an 11 point lead against UNLV. If they had gotten it, the Broncos might actually be in NCAA tournament contention.
But at this point, they’re NIT-bound unless they can put together a run through the Mountain West tournament.
Which brings me to New Mexico.
This loss is going to sting. Road wins in the Mountain West are notoriously hard to come by, and New Mexico let this one slip through their fingers. What’s worse is that the Lobos were just 24 hours removed from finding themselves in a tie for first place in the conference thanks to Wyoming’s win on Tuesday night.
Now they’re once again a game off the pace.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)