Feb 13, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
For the second straight night, one of the Mountain West’s ‘other guys’ knocked off one of the big boys, as Boise State erased an 11-point second half deficit to knock off New Mexico, 71-70. Derrick Marks shot just 1-for-9 from the floor, but he had 11 points and eight assists and hit two free throws with 13.4 seconds left for the win.
Anthony Drmic scored 18 points and Thomas Bropleh scored all 14 off his points in the second half for the Broncos, who got a couple of clutch buckets about two games too late. They needed this when they blew a 13 point lead against San Diego State or an 11 point lead against UNLV. If they had gotten it, the Broncos might actually be in NCAA tournament contention.
But at this point, they’re NIT-bound unless they can put together a run through the Mountain West tournament.
Which brings me to New Mexico.
This loss is going to sting. Road wins in the Mountain West are notoriously hard to come by, and New Mexico let this one slip through their fingers. What’s worse is that the Lobos were just 24 hours removed from finding themselves in a tie for first place in the conference thanks to Wyoming’s win on Tuesday night.
Now they’re once again a game off the pace.
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)