Feb 13, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 1 Syracuse 58, No. 25 Pittsburgh 56
Once against a Syracuse game went down to the wire, and once again the Orange made the plays needed to win in the end. Tyler Ennis’ 35-footer as time expired proved to be the difference, with he and C.J. Fair combining to scored the Orange’ final 13 points of the game. Talib Zanna led Pitt, whose resume is still in need of a marquee victory, with 16 points and 14 rebounds.
1) Texas Tech 68, Oklahoma 60
Tubby Smith’s Red Raiders followed up their win over Oklahoma State with a win at Oklahoma on Wednesday night. Robert Turner scored 16 points to led Texas Tech offensively, and the Red Raiders outscored the Sooners 20-6 at the foul line.
2) Boise State 71, New Mexico 70
After No. 5 San Diego State lost at Wyoming on Tuesday night the Lobos had a chance to move into a tie for first place in the Mountain West. New Mexico failed to take advantage of the opportunity, losing at Boise State with Derrick Marks making two free throws with 13.2 seconds remaining to give the Broncos the win.
3) George Mason 91, UMass 80
As Chaz Williams goes, so goes UMass. On Wednesday Williams shot 3-for-15 from the field, so it comes as no surprise that the Minutemen struggled. But to lose to a George Mason team that entered the game 1-8 in Atlantic 10 play? That’s not good. UMass is still an NCAA tournament team, but their margin for error in games like this one is slim.
1) D.J. Balentine (Evansville)
Made 20 of his 25 free throw attempts, finishing with 38 points, six rebounds and five assists in Evansville’s 104-98 overtime win over Illinois State.
2) Davon Usher (Delaware)
34 points (9-for-17 FG), eight rebounds and two assists in the Blue Hens’ 81-65 win over James Madison.
3) Shavon Shields (Nebraska)
Shields entered Wednesday’s game against Illinois averaging nine points per game in Big Ten play. He finished the 67-58 win with 33 points, making all 15 of his free throws (8-for-12 FG) and five rebounds.
1) South Florida
The Bulls shot 12-for-50 from the field and turned the ball over 15 times in their 83-40 loss at No. 24 UConn.
2) Chaz Williams (UMass)
Williams scored just eight points on 3-for-15 shooting in UMass’ 91-80 loss to George Mason.
3) K.T. Harrell (Auburn)
Shot 2-for-15 from the field in the Tigers’ 64-56 loss to No. 14 Kentucky.
- No. 22 Memphis’ 76-70 win over UCF proved to be more interesting than expected, with freshman center Dominic Woodson being banished from the bench by head coach Josh Pastner. Following the game Pastner announced that Woodson’s been suspended indefinitely, with his language on the bench being the reason why.
- American moved into a tie for first place in the Patriot League with a 64-44 win over Lehigh. Darius Gardner led the way with 17 points.
- A.J. English’s three-pointer with seven tenths of a second remaining gave Iona a 62-59 win over Saint Peter’s to maintain a two-game lead in the MAAC.
- Treveon Graham accounted for 25 points, ten rebounds and five assists in VCU’s 92-75 win over George Mason. The Rams have now won 18 straight home games.
- Rian Pearson scored 29 points and grabbed six rebounds in Toledo’s 82-76 win over Ohio.
- No. 14 Kentucky shot just 30.9% from the field, but that effort was still enough to beat Auburn 64-58. Andrew Harrison led the way with 16 points.
- Stanford’s hopes of getting to the NCAA tournament took a hit with a 64-60 loss at Washington.
- As for California, the Golden Bears survived 39 points from Washington State’s DaVonte Lacy to beat the Cougars 80-76 in overtime in Pullman. Justin Cobb scored all 22 of his points after halftime.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 6 Villanova 87, DePaul 62
- No. 24 UConn 83, USF 40
Jul 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
New York City guard Rawle Alkins is one player to monitor in the Class of 2016.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
If allowed to do so, how would a draft of the Class of 2015′s best players go? Here’s our attempt.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The Texas native isn’t happy some Texas schools pulled their scholarship offers.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best big men were on the same court Thursday, with Zimmerman’s Oakland Soldiers getting the win.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Hipsher worked with Watson from 2009-11, when he was associate head coach at Alabama and Watson a grad assistant.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Despite the fact that Vujovic made it through the NCAA Eligibility Center, Monmouth has decided to not admit him.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
Eric McKnight’s waiver to play immediately was denied by the SEC.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Groce is under .500 in Big Ten play in his two seasons at Illinois.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Florida State will play five non-conference games against teams that reached the NCAA tournament last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The four latest five-star recruits that Cal landed all showed off their Kentucky threads on instagram.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Mostella has travelled a long road to get to Knoxville.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Austin has found a landing place, but it’s still a long way from the Division I ranks.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Three true road games and a visit from the reigning champs?
Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Thon Maker is a top five recruit in 2016 and would be a top two or three recruit in 2015.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Hoiberg had surgery to replace his pacemaker last week.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
The events will be played in November and December
Jul 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Mykhailiuk is playing in the B Division of the event.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The final open period has begun, with Corey Sanders and Jalen Brunson among the standouts.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
Perry’s been at USC Upstate since 2009, and among the players he’s helped recruit was former great Torrey Craig.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Brown averaged 5.5 points per game and made 13 starts in 35 appearances for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)