Feb 13, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 1 Syracuse 58, No. 25 Pittsburgh 56
Once against a Syracuse game went down to the wire, and once again the Orange made the plays needed to win in the end. Tyler Ennis’ 35-footer as time expired proved to be the difference, with he and C.J. Fair combining to scored the Orange’ final 13 points of the game. Talib Zanna led Pitt, whose resume is still in need of a marquee victory, with 16 points and 14 rebounds.
1) Texas Tech 68, Oklahoma 60
Tubby Smith’s Red Raiders followed up their win over Oklahoma State with a win at Oklahoma on Wednesday night. Robert Turner scored 16 points to led Texas Tech offensively, and the Red Raiders outscored the Sooners 20-6 at the foul line.
2) Boise State 71, New Mexico 70
After No. 5 San Diego State lost at Wyoming on Tuesday night the Lobos had a chance to move into a tie for first place in the Mountain West. New Mexico failed to take advantage of the opportunity, losing at Boise State with Derrick Marks making two free throws with 13.2 seconds remaining to give the Broncos the win.
3) George Mason 91, UMass 80
As Chaz Williams goes, so goes UMass. On Wednesday Williams shot 3-for-15 from the field, so it comes as no surprise that the Minutemen struggled. But to lose to a George Mason team that entered the game 1-8 in Atlantic 10 play? That’s not good. UMass is still an NCAA tournament team, but their margin for error in games like this one is slim.
1) D.J. Balentine (Evansville)
Made 20 of his 25 free throw attempts, finishing with 38 points, six rebounds and five assists in Evansville’s 104-98 overtime win over Illinois State.
2) Davon Usher (Delaware)
34 points (9-for-17 FG), eight rebounds and two assists in the Blue Hens’ 81-65 win over James Madison.
3) Shavon Shields (Nebraska)
Shields entered Wednesday’s game against Illinois averaging nine points per game in Big Ten play. He finished the 67-58 win with 33 points, making all 15 of his free throws (8-for-12 FG) and five rebounds.
1) South Florida
The Bulls shot 12-for-50 from the field and turned the ball over 15 times in their 83-40 loss at No. 24 UConn.
2) Chaz Williams (UMass)
Williams scored just eight points on 3-for-15 shooting in UMass’ 91-80 loss to George Mason.
3) K.T. Harrell (Auburn)
Shot 2-for-15 from the field in the Tigers’ 64-56 loss to No. 14 Kentucky.
- No. 22 Memphis’ 76-70 win over UCF proved to be more interesting than expected, with freshman center Dominic Woodson being banished from the bench by head coach Josh Pastner. Following the game Pastner announced that Woodson’s been suspended indefinitely, with his language on the bench being the reason why.
- American moved into a tie for first place in the Patriot League with a 64-44 win over Lehigh. Darius Gardner led the way with 17 points.
- A.J. English’s three-pointer with seven tenths of a second remaining gave Iona a 62-59 win over Saint Peter’s to maintain a two-game lead in the MAAC.
- Treveon Graham accounted for 25 points, ten rebounds and five assists in VCU’s 92-75 win over George Mason. The Rams have now won 18 straight home games.
- Rian Pearson scored 29 points and grabbed six rebounds in Toledo’s 82-76 win over Ohio.
- No. 14 Kentucky shot just 30.9% from the field, but that effort was still enough to beat Auburn 64-58. Andrew Harrison led the way with 16 points.
- Stanford’s hopes of getting to the NCAA tournament took a hit with a 64-60 loss at Washington.
- As for California, the Golden Bears survived 39 points from Washington State’s DaVonte Lacy to beat the Cougars 80-76 in overtime in Pullman. Justin Cobb scored all 22 of his points after halftime.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 6 Villanova 87, DePaul 62
- No. 24 UConn 83, USF 40
Mar 29, 2015, 12:50 AM EDT
ACC teams went 2-1 Friday night, with Louisville’s win over NC State being the league’s lone defeat.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
The Wildcats knocked off a tough Notre Dame team.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Dekker scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half at Wisconsin beat Arizona in the Elite Eight for the second straight year.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:34 PM EDT
Frank got a little funky after Wisconsin’s win over Arizona.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
This is too funny.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Barnes coached at Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
So Andrew Harrison was a grown man in middle school?
Arrests made as Michigan State fans gather, set fires near off-campus apartments after Sweet 16 win (VIDEO)
Mar 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Some Michigan State students got a little too rowdy following a win over Oklahoma.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
The Citadel hired away the head coach of a Southern Conference rival.
Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on college hoops: ‘It’s absolute torture watching some of these games’ (AUDIO)
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey had some strong words on the current state of college basketball.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Frank Kaminsky’s path to stardom may not follow that of last year’s national Player of the Year winner, Doug McDermott, but it’s one that many players hope to navigate during their own time in school.
Tom Izzo blames himself, new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie on Michigan State’s sluggish Sweet 16 start
Mar 28, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Michigan State might have been the only people in the country watching “Get Hard” on Friday afternoon.
Former oddsmaker believes Kentucky would be underdog against all-time great college basketball teams
Mar 28, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Kentucky might finish the 2014-15 season unblemished, but how do they stack up against some of the best teams in college basketball history?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Get caught up on all of Friday’s NCAA tournament action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 AM EDT
The schedule for Sunday’s Elite 8 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
Second straight Elite 8 appearance for Tom Izzo and Co.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
No. 1 Duke advanced to the Elite 8 with a win in the South Regional over No. 5 Utah.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This is a pretty nice move from Amile Jefferson.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Wardle spent five seasons as coach at Green Bay.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Will play the winner of Michigan State-Oklahoma.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (42)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)