Feb 13, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
I can not remember a case of a player getting suspended for cursing before, but that’s exactly what has happened with Memphis freshman center Dominic Woodson.
Woodson was kicked off of the Tiger bench in Wednesday night’s win over Central Florida, and according to Josh Pastner, it was the result of the colorful language the big fella was using.
“I did not like some of his language he used,” Pastner told reporters in his postgame press conference. ”So I said, ‘See ya.’”
Pastner does not curse. He does not allow his players to curse. He does not allow the black players to use the N-word. And this wasn’t the first time that he’s had an issue with Woodson.
“There are some things that I just won’t tolerate,” Pastner told Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com on Thursday. “I don’t talk that way, and I don’t want players in my program talking that way, and that’s the bottom line.”
“If a few wind sprints in practice didn’t teach a listen, then maybe this suspension will.”
Woodson will not play at UConn.
It will be the third straight game that he spent time in the locker room instead of on the court or on the bench. Against Gonzaga on Saturday, Woodson was tossed for a Flagrant 2 foul on Zag center Przemek Karnowski.
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)