Feb 13, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
After using the Friday-Sunday format for the women’s Final Four from 1996-2002, the NCAA made the move to a Sunday-Tuesday format in 2003. And after more than a decade of that format, the NCAA has decided to go back to the Friday-Sunday format beginning with the 2017 NCAA tournament.
With the combination of this move and the decision to start the women’s tournament a day earlier, on a Friday as opposed to Saturday, the NCAA hopes to boost attendance for the event. According to the Associated Press, last year’s event averaged just 5,466 fans for all rounds.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)