Feb 13, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
Doug McDermott did Doug McDermott things on his first visit to Butler’s Hinkle Fieldhouse, scoring 26 points and hitting what turned out to be the game-winning three as No. 18 Creighton beat the Bulldogs, 68-63.
The irony, however, is that Butler actually discovered a pretty effective way of slowing down McDermott in the second half. It happened by accident, as 5-foot-11 Alex Barlow ended up on McDermott of a switch, but the Butler point guard did a good job on McDermott down the stretch. He was physical with McDermott, making it difficult for him to cut through the defense and run off of screens. He was also strong enough, using the leverage his smaller stature provides, to make it tough for McDermott to get position in the post.
In the end, Creighton ended up being too much, and a lot of that credit must go to Will Artino, who finished with 11 points and 10 boards off the bench. It was arguably his best game in a Creighton jersey, and it helped the Bluejays overcome a night where Ethan Wragge and Austin Chatman combined to shoot 2-for-11 from the floor.
With the win, Creighton remains one game behind No. 6 Villanova in the Big East standings, setting up a massive showdown on Sunday afternoon. Villanova has just one loss in Big East play, and it just so happens that Creighton was the team that gave it to them.
By 28 points in a game Creighton led by 20 in the first seven minutes and by 40 in the second half.
It was embarrassing, and now Villanova has a chance to answer with first place in the conference on the line.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)