Feb 13, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
With a 15-10 overall record and a 6-4 mark in the Northeast Conference, Glenn Braica’s St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers find themselves in a tie for third place in the NEC with hopes of at the very least hosting one game in the NEC tournament. But those hopes may have taken a hit on Wednesday night due to the reported suspension of four players.
According to News 12 Brooklyn, Anthony White, Wayne Martin, Brent Jones and P.J. Santavenere have all been suspended from the team with White and Martin having been arrested following allegations of sexual assault.
Anthony White was arrested on Feb. 4 after investigators say he slapped a 20-year-old female, choked her and broke her computer in a campus dorm. White was charged with assault with intent to cause physical injury. He was released on his own recognizance with a temporary order of protection against the victim. White is due back in court on March 24.
When reporting that incident, the victim made police aware of another incident from Dec. 2012. Police arrested Wayne Martin and charged him with forcible touching and sex abuse for reportedly attempting to kiss the victim without her consent. Police say the incident also occurred in a dorm room.
Authorities are still investigating the incident involving Martin, and according to News 12 Brooklyn police would like to discuss the matter with another member of the basketball team who was not identified.
Of the four players suspended Jones and White both have starting experience, but Martin’s been the most productive offensively as he’s averaging 7.5 points and 5.2 rebounds per game off the bench. Jones is another key loss for the Terriers, as he’s averaging 6.9 points and a team-high 5.5 assists per game.
At this point in the season coaches like to have their rotation set in stone, with an eye towards the stretch run and conference tournament. That won’t be the case for St. Francis due to these four having to address these serious legal issues.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)