Feb 13, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Freshman forward Davonte Fitzgerald has been one of the bright spots this season for Texas A&M, as he averaged 7.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in just under 16 minutes of action per contest. And on Wednesday in the Aggies’ win over LSU the Atlanta native got off to a hot start, scoring 11 points and grabbing three rebounds in nine minutes of the playing time.
Unfortunately Fitzgerald suffered a knee injury late in the first half, and on Thursday the school announced that he will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season as a result. In SEC play Fitzgerald averaged 8.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game, with his best offensive performance being a 20-point outing in a loss at Mississippi State on January 18.
Texas A&M has just one player, junior guard Jamal Jones (12.3 ppg), averaging double figures this season with six other members of the rotation averaging between 6.0 (Shawn Smith) and 9.8 (Kourtney Roberson) points per game. Without Fitzgerald in the fold Texas A&M will need to account for the resulting loss in offensive production as a group, with forward Antwan Space and guard Fabyon Harris (who averaged 12.0 ppg last season) among the options to provide assistance in this regard.
After losing five straight SEC games Billy Kennedy’s team has won two of its last three, and they visit Vanderbilt on Saturday afternoon.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)