Feb 13, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Freshman forward Davonte Fitzgerald has been one of the bright spots this season for Texas A&M, as he averaged 7.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in just under 16 minutes of action per contest. And on Wednesday in the Aggies’ win over LSU the Atlanta native got off to a hot start, scoring 11 points and grabbing three rebounds in nine minutes of the playing time.
Unfortunately Fitzgerald suffered a knee injury late in the first half, and on Thursday the school announced that he will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season as a result. In SEC play Fitzgerald averaged 8.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game, with his best offensive performance being a 20-point outing in a loss at Mississippi State on January 18.
Texas A&M has just one player, junior guard Jamal Jones (12.3 ppg), averaging double figures this season with six other members of the rotation averaging between 6.0 (Shawn Smith) and 9.8 (Kourtney Roberson) points per game. Without Fitzgerald in the fold Texas A&M will need to account for the resulting loss in offensive production as a group, with forward Antwan Space and guard Fabyon Harris (who averaged 12.0 ppg last season) among the options to provide assistance in this regard.
After losing five straight SEC games Billy Kennedy’s team has won two of its last three, and they visit Vanderbilt on Saturday afternoon.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)