Feb 13, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
“I’ll kill you!!!”
John Chaney had a very successful career as a basketball coach, but unfortunately, it is those three words that he’ll likely be best remembered for.
20 years ago today, Chaney, who was Temple’s head coach at the time, lost it on now-Kentucky, then-UMass head coach John Calipari. His issue? The way that Calipari handled officials.
“Could I say this to you, please?” Chaney said, before the video above picks up. “You’ve got a good ball club. But what you did with the officials out there is wrong, and I don’t want to be a party to that. You understand?”
Cal responded: “You weren’t out there, Coach. You don’t have any idea.”
Chaney fired back: “You got a game given to you by officials right here with G.W. on three bad calls, O.K.? Then you send your kids out there pushing and shoving. You had the best officiating you could ever get here. And for you to ride them, I don’t want to be a party to that.”
And that’s where the video picks up, with UMass guard Mike Williams and future NBA star Eddie Jones, who strolled in shirtless at the end, breaking up what could have been one heckuva fight.
Now imagine if this happened today? With twitter and the 24 hour sports news networks, this video would get played millions of times. Skip Bayless would spend hours upon hours ranting about how Tim Tebow would have won this fight. We wouldn’t hear the end of it for weeks.
Today, the two former adversaries are actually friends. Cal even posted this picture on his Instagram last year.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)