Feb 13, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
“I’ll kill you!!!”
John Chaney had a very successful career as a basketball coach, but unfortunately, it is those three words that he’ll likely be best remembered for.
20 years ago today, Chaney, who was Temple’s head coach at the time, lost it on now-Kentucky, then-UMass head coach John Calipari. His issue? The way that Calipari handled officials.
“Could I say this to you, please?” Chaney said, before the video above picks up. “You’ve got a good ball club. But what you did with the officials out there is wrong, and I don’t want to be a party to that. You understand?”
Cal responded: “You weren’t out there, Coach. You don’t have any idea.”
Chaney fired back: “You got a game given to you by officials right here with G.W. on three bad calls, O.K.? Then you send your kids out there pushing and shoving. You had the best officiating you could ever get here. And for you to ride them, I don’t want to be a party to that.”
And that’s where the video picks up, with UMass guard Mike Williams and future NBA star Eddie Jones, who strolled in shirtless at the end, breaking up what could have been one heckuva fight.
Now imagine if this happened today? With twitter and the 24 hour sports news networks, this video would get played millions of times. Skip Bayless would spend hours upon hours ranting about how Tim Tebow would have won this fight. We wouldn’t hear the end of it for weeks.
Today, the two former adversaries are actually friends. Cal even posted this picture on his Instagram last year.
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)