Feb 14, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
While the decision to postpone Wednesday’s scheduled contest between No. 8 Duke and North Carolina was applauded by many due to the winter storm that hit the region, there was still criticism in regards to how the situation was handled.
Some felt that the decision-makers took too long to come to a decision, even though classes at North Carolina were cancelled earlier in the day.
One such fan who wasn’t pleased with the way things were handled is Jack Markham, and according to WRAL-TV he sent an invoice to Duke athletic director Kevin White requesting a refund of the money he spent in anticipation of being able to attend the game. The dollar amount that Markham has requested: $827, and he broke down the expenses in the invoice as well.
Amongst the expenses: $400 for mental anguish.
“I know it is difficult to calculate anguish,” Markham said. “But I love Duke greatly and I felt betrayed. It’s not like this was a Duke-Vermont game.”
Markham, who lives in Southern Pines, did not attend Duke, but said that he has grown up with the UNC-Duke rivalry and chose the Blue Devils as his team when he was 8-years-old. He was set to attend his first ever Duke-UNC basketball game Wednesday.
Markham and his friend are unable to attend the makeup game, which will be played on February 20, and as a result he sold the tickets for $238 according to WRAL. To be fair Markham does have a point in regards to the notice given that the game would be postponed, with authorities not announcing the decision until shortly after 5:00 p.m. EST.
But whether or not Markham’s invoice gets paid will be interesting to see, because it would set an interesting precedent for the future. Will his request be granted? It seems highly unlikely, but you never know.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)