Feb 14, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
While the decision to postpone Wednesday’s scheduled contest between No. 8 Duke and North Carolina was applauded by many due to the winter storm that hit the region, there was still criticism in regards to how the situation was handled.
Some felt that the decision-makers took too long to come to a decision, even though classes at North Carolina were cancelled earlier in the day.
One such fan who wasn’t pleased with the way things were handled is Jack Markham, and according to WRAL-TV he sent an invoice to Duke athletic director Kevin White requesting a refund of the money he spent in anticipation of being able to attend the game. The dollar amount that Markham has requested: $827, and he broke down the expenses in the invoice as well.
Amongst the expenses: $400 for mental anguish.
“I know it is difficult to calculate anguish,” Markham said. “But I love Duke greatly and I felt betrayed. It’s not like this was a Duke-Vermont game.”
Markham, who lives in Southern Pines, did not attend Duke, but said that he has grown up with the UNC-Duke rivalry and chose the Blue Devils as his team when he was 8-years-old. He was set to attend his first ever Duke-UNC basketball game Wednesday.
Markham and his friend are unable to attend the makeup game, which will be played on February 20, and as a result he sold the tickets for $238 according to WRAL. To be fair Markham does have a point in regards to the notice given that the game would be postponed, with authorities not announcing the decision until shortly after 5:00 p.m. EST.
But whether or not Markham’s invoice gets paid will be interesting to see, because it would set an interesting precedent for the future. Will his request be granted? It seems highly unlikely, but you never know.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)