Feb 14, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Twenty years later, memories of Calipari-Chaney feud live on (Massachusetts Daily Collegian)
Thursday marked the 20-year anniversary of the unforgettable verbal altercation between then-Temple head coach John Chaney and then-UMass head coach John Calipari following a one-point UMass victory. And the heat of that moment revealed how fierce the rivalry between the two schools was at the time, with Temple being the kings of the Atlantic 10 and UMass looking to take over.
Ex-Rider coach Tommy Dempsey still feels connection to old team (The Times of Trenton)
Current Binghamton head coach Tommy Dempsey spent seven seasons as the head coach at Rider, and other than the freshmen on the Broncs roster he recruited nearly every player who remains. With that being the case, there’s still a connection between the coach and his old school while he looks to rebuild a Binghamton program that won just two games in the season prior to Dempsey’s arrival.
Gary Harris back on road to shot recovery, but still pressing under pressure (MLive.com)
N0. 9 Michigan State got back on the right track Thursday night with an 85-70 home win over Northwestern, but even with this being the case sophomore guard Gary Harris continues to work to get his shot going. Harris shot just 3-for-20 in the Spartans’ loss at Wisconsin, and he followed that up with a 6-for-13 night against Northwestern.
Mackenzie, Kim make perfect team (ESPN)
The player/coach relationship can be a difficult one at times, especially when the two involved are also father and son or mother and daughter. That’s the case for Baylor’s Kim Mulkey and senior guard/forward Mackenzie Robertson, with the latter turning into a key player for the Bears in her senior season.
Billy Baron hopes to end up-and-down journey on a high note (CBS Sports)
Canisius senior guard Billy Baron has been one of the nation’s best guards this season, as he ranks among the top five scorers in the country for a team in the thick of the MAAC title race. And he hopes to end his college career, one that includes stops at Virginia and Rhode Island, with a trip to the NCAA tournament.
Analyzing Syracuse’s game-winning play, appreciating Wilbekin and more (Sports Illustrated)
In the latest version of Luke Winn’s power rankings, he takes a look at the final play that culminated in Tyler Ennis’ shot from 35 feet out to give No. 1 Syracuse a 58-56 win at Pittsburgh on Wednesday night. There are also looks at Scottie Wilbekin’s free throw rate and the impact of Jordair Jett at Saint Louis.
How Melvin Ejim’s 48-point game stacks up (Des Moines Register)
It’s been six days since Iowa State’s Melvin Ejim went off for 48 points in the Cyclones’ win over TCU, and there’s still buzz over the performance. So how does Ejim’s performance measure up against some of the best single-game outings in the history of college basketball in the state of Iowa? Pretty well.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)