Feb 15, 2014, 12:01 PM EST
As the college basketball season rolls along into mid-February, one of the forgotten players of the year is former Louisville forward Chane Behanan.
Well, its not as if Behanan is forgotten, but he transferred to Colorado State after being kicked out of Louisville and now he isn’t playing until next season.
But Behanan is on the comeback trail, and in this good read from Jason King of Bleacher Report, Behanan is working with John Lucas in Houston to overcome some of the pitfalls in his life, including marijuana use.
For the last six weeks he’s lived out of a hotel room at the Drury Inn, where Lucas picks him up at 6:30 each morning. The two usually spend the next few hours talking about their lives, often over breakfast or during a drive through the city.
They arrive at the gym around 8:30 for conditioning, shooting and ball-handling drills. Then comes a break before another workout follows at 12:30.
Lucas said Behanan struggled with the routine for the first few weeks. There were times when he had to go up to his room, open the door—Lucas has the key—and coax him out of bed.
Behanan also had some eye-opening admissions about his marijuana use and activity around the city of Louisville:
Behanan said he began smoking weed regularly, often after a long practice or a tough, physical game—and almost always when he was alone. He didn’t want anyone to see him getting high.
Asked if he became addicted to the drug, Behanan said. “I would say so, yes. It’s hard to know for sure. But I definitely liked it.”
Behanan, though, said smoking marijuana never became a daily habit, that he only did it on occasion.
“It just seemed like every time I did it, I got caught,” he said. “I don’t know if it was a sign from God, warning me…I don’t know.”
The rest of the post is definitely worth checking out and can be found here.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)