Feb 15, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
As the college basketball season rolls along into mid-February, one of the forgotten players of the year is former Louisville forward Chane Behanan.
Well, its not as if Behanan is forgotten, but he transferred to Colorado State after being kicked out of Louisville and now he isn’t playing until next season.
But Behanan is on the comeback trail, and in this good read from Jason King of Bleacher Report, Behanan is working with John Lucas in Houston to overcome some of the pitfalls in his life, including marijuana use.
For the last six weeks he’s lived out of a hotel room at the Drury Inn, where Lucas picks him up at 6:30 each morning. The two usually spend the next few hours talking about their lives, often over breakfast or during a drive through the city.
They arrive at the gym around 8:30 for conditioning, shooting and ball-handling drills. Then comes a break before another workout follows at 12:30.
Lucas said Behanan struggled with the routine for the first few weeks. There were times when he had to go up to his room, open the door—Lucas has the key—and coax him out of bed.
Behanan also had some eye-opening admissions about his marijuana use and activity around the city of Louisville:
Behanan said he began smoking weed regularly, often after a long practice or a tough, physical game—and almost always when he was alone. He didn’t want anyone to see him getting high.
Asked if he became addicted to the drug, Behanan said. “I would say so, yes. It’s hard to know for sure. But I definitely liked it.”
Behanan, though, said smoking marijuana never became a daily habit, that he only did it on occasion.
“It just seemed like every time I did it, I got caught,” he said. “I don’t know if it was a sign from God, warning me…I don’t know.”
The rest of the post is definitely worth checking out and can be found here.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)