Feb 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
After a pair of Lavon Long free throws gave Siena a 64-60 lead at Marist with 12 seconds remaining, the Red Foxes’ chances of winning seemed slim. But even with that being the case, Jeff Bower’s team still had a chance. And sure enough they took advantage, scoring five points in seven seconds to pull off the 65-64 stunner on Friday night.
Chavaughn Lewis went from one end of the floor to the other in five seconds, converting a lay-up that cut the Siena lead to two points. And then, with both teams out of timeouts, the Saints turned the ball over on the ensuing inbounds pass. Jay Bowie stole the pass, and after a shot fake hit the game-winning three-pointer as Siena was unable to attempt a shot afterwards.
As a result of the outcome both teams are now 7-8 in MAAC play, with the top five seeds not having to play on the first day of next month’s MAAC tournament. Currently Rider holds that fifth spot with an 8-7 record, so clearly this was a big result for both the Saints and Red Foxes.
Video courtesy of ESPN
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)