Feb 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
After a pair of Lavon Long free throws gave Siena a 64-60 lead at Marist with 12 seconds remaining, the Red Foxes’ chances of winning seemed slim. But even with that being the case, Jeff Bower’s team still had a chance. And sure enough they took advantage, scoring five points in seven seconds to pull off the 65-64 stunner on Friday night.
Chavaughn Lewis went from one end of the floor to the other in five seconds, converting a lay-up that cut the Siena lead to two points. And then, with both teams out of timeouts, the Saints turned the ball over on the ensuing inbounds pass. Jay Bowie stole the pass, and after a shot fake hit the game-winning three-pointer as Siena was unable to attempt a shot afterwards.
As a result of the outcome both teams are now 7-8 in MAAC play, with the top five seeds not having to play on the first day of next month’s MAAC tournament. Currently Rider holds that fifth spot with an 8-7 record, so clearly this was a big result for both the Saints and Red Foxes.
Video courtesy of ESPN
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)