Feb 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
After a pair of Lavon Long free throws gave Siena a 64-60 lead at Marist with 12 seconds remaining, the Red Foxes’ chances of winning seemed slim. But even with that being the case, Jeff Bower’s team still had a chance. And sure enough they took advantage, scoring five points in seven seconds to pull off the 65-64 stunner on Friday night.
Chavaughn Lewis went from one end of the floor to the other in five seconds, converting a lay-up that cut the Siena lead to two points. And then, with both teams out of timeouts, the Saints turned the ball over on the ensuing inbounds pass. Jay Bowie stole the pass, and after a shot fake hit the game-winning three-pointer as Siena was unable to attempt a shot afterwards.
As a result of the outcome both teams are now 7-8 in MAAC play, with the top five seeds not having to play on the first day of next month’s MAAC tournament. Currently Rider holds that fifth spot with an 8-7 record, so clearly this was a big result for both the Saints and Red Foxes.
Video courtesy of ESPN
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)