Feb 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
After a pair of Lavon Long free throws gave Siena a 64-60 lead at Marist with 12 seconds remaining, the Red Foxes’ chances of winning seemed slim. But even with that being the case, Jeff Bower’s team still had a chance. And sure enough they took advantage, scoring five points in seven seconds to pull off the 65-64 stunner on Friday night.
Chavaughn Lewis went from one end of the floor to the other in five seconds, converting a lay-up that cut the Siena lead to two points. And then, with both teams out of timeouts, the Saints turned the ball over on the ensuing inbounds pass. Jay Bowie stole the pass, and after a shot fake hit the game-winning three-pointer as Siena was unable to attempt a shot afterwards.
As a result of the outcome both teams are now 7-8 in MAAC play, with the top five seeds not having to play on the first day of next month’s MAAC tournament. Currently Rider holds that fifth spot with an 8-7 record, so clearly this was a big result for both the Saints and Red Foxes.
Video courtesy of ESPN
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)