Feb 15, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Marquette is slowly turning the corner as the Golden Eagles won another game on Saturday, defeating Xavier 81-72 for a home Big East win.
The Golden Eagles are only 15-10, (7-5 Big East) but, for the first time this season, they have a three-game winning streak and they’re able to build some momentum going towards their likely only realistic shot at the NCAA Tournament: winning the Big East Tournament.
If the Golden Eagles get a shooting performance like they did from guard Jake Thomas, they have to like their chances so much more. Thomas as a game changer on Saturday, knocking down six three-pointers on his way to 18 points and it gave the Golden Eagles a fourth scorer and additional floor spacer.
Marquette also had solid scoring output from Todd Mayo (13 points) and Davante Gardner and Jamil Wilson each added 16 points as well.
If Mayo isn’t the only perimeter scorer, it opens up driving lanes for Mayo and Wilson and makes it easier for them to score.
Buzz Williams’ team can defend pretty well but if they find a consistent perimeter scoring option like Jake Thomas, it gives them a new dimension and a chance at advancing to the final stages of the conference tournament.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)