Feb 15, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Marquette is slowly turning the corner as the Golden Eagles won another game on Saturday, defeating Xavier 81-72 for a home Big East win.
The Golden Eagles are only 15-10, (7-5 Big East) but, for the first time this season, they have a three-game winning streak and they’re able to build some momentum going towards their likely only realistic shot at the NCAA Tournament: winning the Big East Tournament.
If the Golden Eagles get a shooting performance like they did from guard Jake Thomas, they have to like their chances so much more. Thomas as a game changer on Saturday, knocking down six three-pointers on his way to 18 points and it gave the Golden Eagles a fourth scorer and additional floor spacer.
Marquette also had solid scoring output from Todd Mayo (13 points) and Davante Gardner and Jamil Wilson each added 16 points as well.
If Mayo isn’t the only perimeter scorer, it opens up driving lanes for Mayo and Wilson and makes it easier for them to score.
Buzz Williams’ team can defend pretty well but if they find a consistent perimeter scoring option like Jake Thomas, it gives them a new dimension and a chance at advancing to the final stages of the conference tournament.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)