Feb 15, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Marquette is slowly turning the corner as the Golden Eagles won another game on Saturday, defeating Xavier 81-72 for a home Big East win.
The Golden Eagles are only 15-10, (7-5 Big East) but, for the first time this season, they have a three-game winning streak and they’re able to build some momentum going towards their likely only realistic shot at the NCAA Tournament: winning the Big East Tournament.
If the Golden Eagles get a shooting performance like they did from guard Jake Thomas, they have to like their chances so much more. Thomas as a game changer on Saturday, knocking down six three-pointers on his way to 18 points and it gave the Golden Eagles a fourth scorer and additional floor spacer.
Marquette also had solid scoring output from Todd Mayo (13 points) and Davante Gardner and Jamil Wilson each added 16 points as well.
If Mayo isn’t the only perimeter scorer, it opens up driving lanes for Mayo and Wilson and makes it easier for them to score.
Buzz Williams’ team can defend pretty well but if they find a consistent perimeter scoring option like Jake Thomas, it gives them a new dimension and a chance at advancing to the final stages of the conference tournament.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)