Feb 15, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
Oklahoma earned a critical sweep over in-state rival Oklahoma State on Saturday as the Sooners escaped Stillwater with a 77-74 Big 12 win.
Buddy Hield struggled to find his shot for much of the second half but nailed two critical three-pointers with under three minutes remaining to make the game close and then put Oklahoma ahead for good as he finished with 22 points.
The Sooners (19-7, 8-5) swept the Bedlam series on the regular season as the Cowboys (16-9, 4-8) lost their fifth straight game as Marcus Smart sat for his second consecutive game.
Oklahoma had four players in double-figures in the contest as they shot 12-for-29 from three-point range. Frank Booker (15 points) also had a solid contribution from the perimeter while Tyler Neal (13 points) and Ryan Spangler (12 points) played well at the forward.
Oklahoma State played well despite its depleted backcourt as Markel Brown (26 points and Phil Forte (16 points) both stepped up but they didn’t have enough firepower to hold off a Sooners’ potent perimeter attack.
Oklahoma really needed this win as their upcoming schedule in the Big 12 gets very tough from here. Oklahoma State’s freefall continues and they need to just get some momentum going as we head towards the postseason.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)