Feb 15, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
Oklahoma earned a critical sweep over in-state rival Oklahoma State on Saturday as the Sooners escaped Stillwater with a 77-74 Big 12 win.
Buddy Hield struggled to find his shot for much of the second half but nailed two critical three-pointers with under three minutes remaining to make the game close and then put Oklahoma ahead for good as he finished with 22 points.
The Sooners (19-7, 8-5) swept the Bedlam series on the regular season as the Cowboys (16-9, 4-8) lost their fifth straight game as Marcus Smart sat for his second consecutive game.
Oklahoma had four players in double-figures in the contest as they shot 12-for-29 from three-point range. Frank Booker (15 points) also had a solid contribution from the perimeter while Tyler Neal (13 points) and Ryan Spangler (12 points) played well at the forward.
Oklahoma State played well despite its depleted backcourt as Markel Brown (26 points and Phil Forte (16 points) both stepped up but they didn’t have enough firepower to hold off a Sooners’ potent perimeter attack.
Oklahoma really needed this win as their upcoming schedule in the Big 12 gets very tough from here. Oklahoma State’s freefall continues and they need to just get some momentum going as we head towards the postseason.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)