Feb 15, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
Oklahoma earned a critical sweep over in-state rival Oklahoma State on Saturday as the Sooners escaped Stillwater with a 77-74 Big 12 win.
Buddy Hield struggled to find his shot for much of the second half but nailed two critical three-pointers with under three minutes remaining to make the game close and then put Oklahoma ahead for good as he finished with 22 points.
The Sooners (19-7, 8-5) swept the Bedlam series on the regular season as the Cowboys (16-9, 4-8) lost their fifth straight game as Marcus Smart sat for his second consecutive game.
Oklahoma had four players in double-figures in the contest as they shot 12-for-29 from three-point range. Frank Booker (15 points) also had a solid contribution from the perimeter while Tyler Neal (13 points) and Ryan Spangler (12 points) played well at the forward.
Oklahoma State played well despite its depleted backcourt as Markel Brown (26 points and Phil Forte (16 points) both stepped up but they didn’t have enough firepower to hold off a Sooners’ potent perimeter attack.
Oklahoma really needed this win as their upcoming schedule in the Big 12 gets very tough from here. Oklahoma State’s freefall continues and they need to just get some momentum going as we head towards the postseason.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)