Feb 15, 2014, 9:39 PM EST
No. 1 Syracuse managed to remain undefeated on Saturday night, and believe it or not, the finish may have been more exciting than the Orange’s win over Pitt on Wednesday night.
But the biggest call of the game actually came before the final play. T.J. Warren took a pass over the Syracuse press and went in for what appeared to be an and-one layup, but the referee ruled that he was fouled by Trevor Cooney on the floor.
The play starts at the :35 mark in the video above.
You make the call.
Should Warren have been given an and-one?
Mark Gottfried thinks so. “For them to wipe that away, I already watched the tape,” he said. “I don’t like that call. That changed things.”
My interpretation, quickly: I thought that the foul that the ref called came as Warren was picking up his dribble, meaning that he then took his two steps and the layup after the foul. The ref, who was running full speed and was caught a bit out of position, looked like he was delayed a bit making the call.
I thought it was correct.
But man … it was close, almost as close as Maryland’s upset of Duke.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 1
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)