Feb 15, 2014, 9:39 PM EST
No. 1 Syracuse managed to remain undefeated on Saturday night, and believe it or not, the finish may have been more exciting than the Orange’s win over Pitt on Wednesday night.
But the biggest call of the game actually came before the final play. T.J. Warren took a pass over the Syracuse press and went in for what appeared to be an and-one layup, but the referee ruled that he was fouled by Trevor Cooney on the floor.
The play starts at the :35 mark in the video above.
You make the call.
Should Warren have been given an and-one?
Mark Gottfried thinks so. “For them to wipe that away, I already watched the tape,” he said. “I don’t like that call. That changed things.”
My interpretation, quickly: I thought that the foul that the ref called came as Warren was picking up his dribble, meaning that he then took his two steps and the layup after the foul. The ref, who was running full speed and was caught a bit out of position, looked like he was delayed a bit making the call.
I thought it was correct.
But man … it was close, almost as close as Maryland’s upset of Duke.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)