Feb 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
While Gonzaga has already clinched at least a share of the West Coast Conference regular season title, the race for second place is a tight one with three teams currently having five league losses. Leading the group is BYU, which moved to 10-5 in WCC play with a win at Saint Mary’s on Saturday evening, followed by the Gaels and San Francisco (both 9-5).
The Dons picked up their ninth WCC win late Saturday, beating rival Santa Clara 69-63. One of the standouts for Rex Walters’ squad was junior forward Kruize Pinkins, who finished the game with a career-high 26 points along with six rebounds and two blocks. And he’s pretty good at finishing a press break as well, as can be seen in the video above.
Against the Santa Clara pressure the Dons exhibited good ball movement, culminating with Pinkins’ dunk over Andrew Papenfus. Credit Papenfus for not giving up on the play and simply allowing Pinkins to dunk unimpeded, but the Chipola (Fla.) JC product finished with authority anyway. Pinkins is one of four double-figure scorers for San Francisco, which hosts Saint Mary’s next Thursday night.
Video credit: Get Sports Focus
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)