Feb 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
While Gonzaga has already clinched at least a share of the West Coast Conference regular season title, the race for second place is a tight one with three teams currently having five league losses. Leading the group is BYU, which moved to 10-5 in WCC play with a win at Saint Mary’s on Saturday evening, followed by the Gaels and San Francisco (both 9-5).
The Dons picked up their ninth WCC win late Saturday, beating rival Santa Clara 69-63. One of the standouts for Rex Walters’ squad was junior forward Kruize Pinkins, who finished the game with a career-high 26 points along with six rebounds and two blocks. And he’s pretty good at finishing a press break as well, as can be seen in the video above.
Against the Santa Clara pressure the Dons exhibited good ball movement, culminating with Pinkins’ dunk over Andrew Papenfus. Credit Papenfus for not giving up on the play and simply allowing Pinkins to dunk unimpeded, but the Chipola (Fla.) JC product finished with authority anyway. Pinkins is one of four double-figure scorers for San Francisco, which hosts Saint Mary’s next Thursday night.
Video credit: Get Sports Focus
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)