Feb 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
While Gonzaga has already clinched at least a share of the West Coast Conference regular season title, the race for second place is a tight one with three teams currently having five league losses. Leading the group is BYU, which moved to 10-5 in WCC play with a win at Saint Mary’s on Saturday evening, followed by the Gaels and San Francisco (both 9-5).
The Dons picked up their ninth WCC win late Saturday, beating rival Santa Clara 69-63. One of the standouts for Rex Walters’ squad was junior forward Kruize Pinkins, who finished the game with a career-high 26 points along with six rebounds and two blocks. And he’s pretty good at finishing a press break as well, as can be seen in the video above.
Against the Santa Clara pressure the Dons exhibited good ball movement, culminating with Pinkins’ dunk over Andrew Papenfus. Credit Papenfus for not giving up on the play and simply allowing Pinkins to dunk unimpeded, but the Chipola (Fla.) JC product finished with authority anyway. Pinkins is one of four double-figure scorers for San Francisco, which hosts Saint Mary’s next Thursday night.
Video credit: Get Sports Focus
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)