Feb 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
While Gonzaga has already clinched at least a share of the West Coast Conference regular season title, the race for second place is a tight one with three teams currently having five league losses. Leading the group is BYU, which moved to 10-5 in WCC play with a win at Saint Mary’s on Saturday evening, followed by the Gaels and San Francisco (both 9-5).
The Dons picked up their ninth WCC win late Saturday, beating rival Santa Clara 69-63. One of the standouts for Rex Walters’ squad was junior forward Kruize Pinkins, who finished the game with a career-high 26 points along with six rebounds and two blocks. And he’s pretty good at finishing a press break as well, as can be seen in the video above.
Against the Santa Clara pressure the Dons exhibited good ball movement, culminating with Pinkins’ dunk over Andrew Papenfus. Credit Papenfus for not giving up on the play and simply allowing Pinkins to dunk unimpeded, but the Chipola (Fla.) JC product finished with authority anyway. Pinkins is one of four double-figure scorers for San Francisco, which hosts Saint Mary’s next Thursday night.
Video credit: Get Sports Focus
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)