Feb 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
While Gonzaga has already clinched at least a share of the West Coast Conference regular season title, the race for second place is a tight one with three teams currently having five league losses. Leading the group is BYU, which moved to 10-5 in WCC play with a win at Saint Mary’s on Saturday evening, followed by the Gaels and San Francisco (both 9-5).
The Dons picked up their ninth WCC win late Saturday, beating rival Santa Clara 69-63. One of the standouts for Rex Walters’ squad was junior forward Kruize Pinkins, who finished the game with a career-high 26 points along with six rebounds and two blocks. And he’s pretty good at finishing a press break as well, as can be seen in the video above.
Against the Santa Clara pressure the Dons exhibited good ball movement, culminating with Pinkins’ dunk over Andrew Papenfus. Credit Papenfus for not giving up on the play and simply allowing Pinkins to dunk unimpeded, but the Chipola (Fla.) JC product finished with authority anyway. Pinkins is one of four double-figure scorers for San Francisco, which hosts Saint Mary’s next Thursday night.
Video credit: Get Sports Focus
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)