Feb 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EST
Both Baylor and Oklahoma State needed wins entering Monday night’s game in Waco, but, in the end, it was the Bears prevailing with a 70-64 overtime win over the Cowboys.
Oklahoma State’s Leyton Hammonds stole an inbounds pass and drilled the game-tying three-pointer to send the game to overtime, but the Cowboys fell as they ran out of gas in the extra frame.
Playing without Marcus Smart for the third game of his three-game suspension, the Cowboys (16-10, 4-9) lost their seventh consecutive game. Baylor (17-9, 5-8) won its third straight game as the Bears had 22 offensive rebounds and 16 second-chance points.
Cory Jefferson had a tremendous outing with 25 points and Isaiah Austin added 13 points and Kenny Chery also had 10 for a balanced Baylor effort.
The Bears just simply wore down the Cowboys and outrebounded them 51-36 and outplayed them in overtime. It looked like Oklahoma State was outplaying Baylor early in the second half, but they didn’t have enough firepower in the end.
Markel Brown gave a great effort for the Cowboys. At 26 points, Brown was devastating as a primary ball handler as he also finished with six assists and no turnovers. With Brown’s ability to hit jumpers on pull-ups off-the-dribble or get to the rim by changing speeds around a high ball screen, he should spend more possessions alternating the ball with Marcus Smart. If the two wore down opposing defenses by attacking the rim on a consistent basis, Oklahoma State could break this losing streak.
As for Baylor, they have some quality wins, have now swept Oklahoma State and have four of their last five games against West Virginia, Texas, Iowa State and Kansas State. There’s a shot for them to play into the NCAA Tournament with wins over Kentucky and a trip to the Maui Invitational finals.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 0
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)