Feb 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT
Both Baylor and Oklahoma State needed wins entering Monday night’s game in Waco, but, in the end, it was the Bears prevailing with a 70-64 overtime win over the Cowboys.
Oklahoma State’s Leyton Hammonds stole an inbounds pass and drilled the game-tying three-pointer to send the game to overtime, but the Cowboys fell as they ran out of gas in the extra frame.
Playing without Marcus Smart for the third game of his three-game suspension, the Cowboys (16-10, 4-9) lost their seventh consecutive game. Baylor (17-9, 5-8) won its third straight game as the Bears had 22 offensive rebounds and 16 second-chance points.
Cory Jefferson had a tremendous outing with 25 points and Isaiah Austin added 13 points and Kenny Chery also had 10 for a balanced Baylor effort.
The Bears just simply wore down the Cowboys and outrebounded them 51-36 and outplayed them in overtime. It looked like Oklahoma State was outplaying Baylor early in the second half, but they didn’t have enough firepower in the end.
Markel Brown gave a great effort for the Cowboys. At 26 points, Brown was devastating as a primary ball handler as he also finished with six assists and no turnovers. With Brown’s ability to hit jumpers on pull-ups off-the-dribble or get to the rim by changing speeds around a high ball screen, he should spend more possessions alternating the ball with Marcus Smart. If the two wore down opposing defenses by attacking the rim on a consistent basis, Oklahoma State could break this losing streak.
As for Baylor, they have some quality wins, have now swept Oklahoma State and have four of their last five games against West Virginia, Texas, Iowa State and Kansas State. There’s a shot for them to play into the NCAA Tournament with wins over Kentucky and a trip to the Maui Invitational finals.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)