Feb 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Keith Appling returned to the court after a three game absence on Sunday afternoon, taking part in a 60-51 loss to Nebraska.
He managed just 19 minutes, however, and looked nothing like the guy that played like an all-american for the first month of the season. The problem? A wrist injury that has been bugging Appling since as early as the North Carolina game, when he landed hard after an awkward fall.
Tom Izzo said on Monday morning that the injury could end up keeping Appling out for the rest of the regular season, saying that “shutting him down” is a real possibility.
According to Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free-Press, Izzo said he had “no clue” whether Appling will play on Thursday at Purdue. Appling didn’t have a setback, rather the issue was Appling’s effectiveness. The one jump shot that he took was an airball that came nowhere near the rim and he finished the afternoon with more turnovers than assists.
Missing Appling hurts.
On Sunday, Michigan State’s offense was, frankly, not intelligent. They took quick shots, they committed a couple of ugly turnovers and it seemed like every big possession ended in a self-inflicted mistake.
Having Appling back might not solve all of those issues, but he was much-improved as a point guard this season.
Michigan State has now lost four of their last seven games.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)