Feb 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Keith Appling returned to the court after a three game absence on Sunday afternoon, taking part in a 60-51 loss to Nebraska.
He managed just 19 minutes, however, and looked nothing like the guy that played like an all-american for the first month of the season. The problem? A wrist injury that has been bugging Appling since as early as the North Carolina game, when he landed hard after an awkward fall.
Tom Izzo said on Monday morning that the injury could end up keeping Appling out for the rest of the regular season, saying that “shutting him down” is a real possibility.
According to Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free-Press, Izzo said he had “no clue” whether Appling will play on Thursday at Purdue. Appling didn’t have a setback, rather the issue was Appling’s effectiveness. The one jump shot that he took was an airball that came nowhere near the rim and he finished the afternoon with more turnovers than assists.
Missing Appling hurts.
On Sunday, Michigan State’s offense was, frankly, not intelligent. They took quick shots, they committed a couple of ugly turnovers and it seemed like every big possession ended in a self-inflicted mistake.
Having Appling back might not solve all of those issues, but he was much-improved as a point guard this season.
Michigan State has now lost four of their last seven games.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)