Feb 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Keith Appling returned to the court after a three game absence on Sunday afternoon, taking part in a 60-51 loss to Nebraska.
He managed just 19 minutes, however, and looked nothing like the guy that played like an all-american for the first month of the season. The problem? A wrist injury that has been bugging Appling since as early as the North Carolina game, when he landed hard after an awkward fall.
Tom Izzo said on Monday morning that the injury could end up keeping Appling out for the rest of the regular season, saying that “shutting him down” is a real possibility.
According to Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free-Press, Izzo said he had “no clue” whether Appling will play on Thursday at Purdue. Appling didn’t have a setback, rather the issue was Appling’s effectiveness. The one jump shot that he took was an airball that came nowhere near the rim and he finished the afternoon with more turnovers than assists.
Missing Appling hurts.
On Sunday, Michigan State’s offense was, frankly, not intelligent. They took quick shots, they committed a couple of ugly turnovers and it seemed like every big possession ended in a self-inflicted mistake.
Having Appling back might not solve all of those issues, but he was much-improved as a point guard this season.
Michigan State has now lost four of their last seven games.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)