Feb 17, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Oklahoma State is currently in the second half of a huge Big 12 road game at Baylor as both teams are 4-8 in the league and looking for any kind of boost down the stretch run that they can find.
The Cowboys have lost five straight games — and both games in the beginning of Marcus Smart’s three-game suspension — but Smart still took to Twitter during the Cowboys’ game on Monday night to call out a negative Oklahoma State blogger.
Smart made the three tweets directed at the Twitter account of the Oklahoma State blog Pistols Firing (@pistolsguy) during Monday’s night’s game without the account saying anything directly to Smart.
I applaud Marcus Smart for standing up for his teammates and coaches but after all of the recent controversy about his interaction with fans, maybe it isn’t best if he is engaging with them on social media; especially an Oklahoma State blogger that has said unflattering things about their season.
Smart didn’t say anything offensive or out of line, but the timing of these tweets — in the middle of his team’s important game while he’s suspended for shoving a fan — comes at absolutely the wrong time to engage in this kind of behavior.
When Marcus Smart agreed to return to school this season for his sophomore year, he assumed added pressure that came along with the expectations of being an All-American. Now that Smart is dealing with controversy, its probably a better idea if he focuses on playing well when he returns and not worrying about what detractors are saying on social media.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)