Feb 17, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Pac-12 officials have admitted an officiating error at the end of Arizona State’s double-overtime win over then-No. 2 Arizona on Friday night.
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Andy Katz, “the officials missed the call” when Jahii Carson hung on the rim after dunking at the end of the second overtime. The dunk came with 0.5 seconds left on a breakaway after Jordan Bachynski blocked a T.J. McConnell shot. Carson initially hung on the rim to avoid Jonathan Gilling, who ran underneath him, but he remained on the rim even after Gilling had passed.
The referees were correct in not assessing a technical foul for the fans storming the court with time left on the clock, however. The officials were headed to the monitor to review timing which means that the court storm didn’t actually delay the game.
So no technical foul.
Which means that Wildcats fans don’t have that much of a gripe.
If the technical is called on Carson, Arizona would get two free throws, but they would then have to inbound the ball at the other end of the floor. In other words, the Wildcats would have to score going the length of the court with less than a second left in the game. That’s probably not happening.
Here’s video of the play:
This wasn’t the only controversial call that impacted a game this weekend. There was an “administrative error” in the second half of Maryland’s loss at Duke when the possession arrow wasn’t changed on a jump ball. In the come-from-behind win Syracuse had over N.C. State, this foul on Trevor Cooney was called on the floor instead of giving T.J. Warren an and-one.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)