Feb 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
This is true AAC basketball, at least for now (Connecticut Post)
Saturday’s game between No. 20 Memphis and No. 24 UConn was one of the best games of the weekend, with the Huskies winning 86-81. The contest between two of the American’s best teams didn’t disappoint, but the same can’t be said of the teams in the boom half of the league standings.
1974 N.C. State Wolfpack: David Thompson walked on air (Raleigh News & Observer)
With this season being the 40th anniversary of N.C. State’s first national title, fans and media alike have revisited that season. The key figure on that team was guard David Thompson, an incredible leaper who to this day remains one of the greatest players in the history of the ACC.
While Cats are still busy learning, Florida puts on a fine basketball show (Lexington Herald-Leader)
In the final 11 minutes of Saturday’s pivotal SEC matchup, No. 3 Florida made the winning plays while No. 14 Kentucky found itself “second-best” on multiple occasions. The end result was a 69-59 Gator victory, with the veterans being more sure of what needed to be done than the young Kentucky squad.
Michigan State says Nebraska simple “wanted it more” (MLive.com)
No. 9 Michigan State struggled on Sunday afternoon, making poor decisions and shooting just 5-for-24 from beyond the arc in their 60-51 home loss to Nebraska. And according to the Spartans themselves, Nebraska won the game because they wanted it more.
Miles’ marquee win sooner than expected (Lincoln Journal Star)
Nebraska’s win over No. 9 Michigan State on Sunday was a big one, not just for a team that hopes to climb into the bubble conversation but also for Tim Miles as he looks to rebuild the program. And that defining win that most programs need in order to take the next step came sooner than anticipated.
Terps need an impressive stretch of wins to be considered for NCAA tournament (Baltimore Sun)
Maryland missed out on a valuable resume-building victory on Saturday, losing 69-67 at No. 8 Duke. And as a result the Terrapins have a lot of work to do down the stretch in order to earn a ticket to the NCAA tournament.
Five takeaways from Arizona State’s win over No. 2 Arizona (AZ Central)
Arizona State picked up a critical win on Friday night as they beat No. 2 Arizona 69-66 in double overtime. Jermaine Marshall scored 29 points and Jordan Bachynski preserved the lead with a blocked shot, with Friday being the third game this season in which he’s saved the game for the Sun Devils.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)