Feb 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
This is true AAC basketball, at least for now (Connecticut Post)
Saturday’s game between No. 20 Memphis and No. 24 UConn was one of the best games of the weekend, with the Huskies winning 86-81. The contest between two of the American’s best teams didn’t disappoint, but the same can’t be said of the teams in the boom half of the league standings.
1974 N.C. State Wolfpack: David Thompson walked on air (Raleigh News & Observer)
With this season being the 40th anniversary of N.C. State’s first national title, fans and media alike have revisited that season. The key figure on that team was guard David Thompson, an incredible leaper who to this day remains one of the greatest players in the history of the ACC.
While Cats are still busy learning, Florida puts on a fine basketball show (Lexington Herald-Leader)
In the final 11 minutes of Saturday’s pivotal SEC matchup, No. 3 Florida made the winning plays while No. 14 Kentucky found itself “second-best” on multiple occasions. The end result was a 69-59 Gator victory, with the veterans being more sure of what needed to be done than the young Kentucky squad.
Michigan State says Nebraska simple “wanted it more” (MLive.com)
No. 9 Michigan State struggled on Sunday afternoon, making poor decisions and shooting just 5-for-24 from beyond the arc in their 60-51 home loss to Nebraska. And according to the Spartans themselves, Nebraska won the game because they wanted it more.
Miles’ marquee win sooner than expected (Lincoln Journal Star)
Nebraska’s win over No. 9 Michigan State on Sunday was a big one, not just for a team that hopes to climb into the bubble conversation but also for Tim Miles as he looks to rebuild the program. And that defining win that most programs need in order to take the next step came sooner than anticipated.
Terps need an impressive stretch of wins to be considered for NCAA tournament (Baltimore Sun)
Maryland missed out on a valuable resume-building victory on Saturday, losing 69-67 at No. 8 Duke. And as a result the Terrapins have a lot of work to do down the stretch in order to earn a ticket to the NCAA tournament.
Five takeaways from Arizona State’s win over No. 2 Arizona (AZ Central)
Arizona State picked up a critical win on Friday night as they beat No. 2 Arizona 69-66 in double overtime. Jermaine Marshall scored 29 points and Jordan Bachynski preserved the lead with a blocked shot, with Friday being the third game this season in which he’s saved the game for the Sun Devils.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)