Feb 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
This is true AAC basketball, at least for now (Connecticut Post)
Saturday’s game between No. 20 Memphis and No. 24 UConn was one of the best games of the weekend, with the Huskies winning 86-81. The contest between two of the American’s best teams didn’t disappoint, but the same can’t be said of the teams in the boom half of the league standings.
1974 N.C. State Wolfpack: David Thompson walked on air (Raleigh News & Observer)
With this season being the 40th anniversary of N.C. State’s first national title, fans and media alike have revisited that season. The key figure on that team was guard David Thompson, an incredible leaper who to this day remains one of the greatest players in the history of the ACC.
While Cats are still busy learning, Florida puts on a fine basketball show (Lexington Herald-Leader)
In the final 11 minutes of Saturday’s pivotal SEC matchup, No. 3 Florida made the winning plays while No. 14 Kentucky found itself “second-best” on multiple occasions. The end result was a 69-59 Gator victory, with the veterans being more sure of what needed to be done than the young Kentucky squad.
Michigan State says Nebraska simple “wanted it more” (MLive.com)
No. 9 Michigan State struggled on Sunday afternoon, making poor decisions and shooting just 5-for-24 from beyond the arc in their 60-51 home loss to Nebraska. And according to the Spartans themselves, Nebraska won the game because they wanted it more.
Miles’ marquee win sooner than expected (Lincoln Journal Star)
Nebraska’s win over No. 9 Michigan State on Sunday was a big one, not just for a team that hopes to climb into the bubble conversation but also for Tim Miles as he looks to rebuild the program. And that defining win that most programs need in order to take the next step came sooner than anticipated.
Terps need an impressive stretch of wins to be considered for NCAA tournament (Baltimore Sun)
Maryland missed out on a valuable resume-building victory on Saturday, losing 69-67 at No. 8 Duke. And as a result the Terrapins have a lot of work to do down the stretch in order to earn a ticket to the NCAA tournament.
Five takeaways from Arizona State’s win over No. 2 Arizona (AZ Central)
Arizona State picked up a critical win on Friday night as they beat No. 2 Arizona 69-66 in double overtime. Jermaine Marshall scored 29 points and Jordan Bachynski preserved the lead with a blocked shot, with Friday being the third game this season in which he’s saved the game for the Sun Devils.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)