Feb 19, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
The Alabama Crimson Tide have lost five of their last six games, most recently dropping a one-point decision at South Carolina on Saturday afternoon. Trevor Releford scored 27 points and grabbed four rebounds to lead the way for Alabama, which is now 10-15 overall and 4-8 in SEC play.
Also playing in that game was junior forward Nick Jacobs, who tallied just two points and one rebound in 14 minutes of action. Jacobs, averaging 8.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game this season, has started ten of the 25 games he’s played in. However when he’ll play next is unknown, as the school announced on Wednesday that Jacobs has taken an indefinite leave of absence from the team.
“Nick and I met early this week regarding a pattern of behavior and inconsistencies with his responsibilities as a student-athlete,” Alabama head coach Anthony Grant said in the release. “When addressed with these off-the-court issues, he requested a leave of absence, which I granted. He and I both feel it is in his best interest to step away from the team for the immediate future. We will continue to provide Nick the support and assistance he needs to reassess his priorities and focus on his well-being.”
Jacobs is one of four players averaging between 7.8 and 8.4 points per game for the Crimson Tide, who have just two double-digit scorers (Releford and Retin Obasohan). From a rebounding standpoint guard Rodney Cooper leads the team with an average of 5.1 rebounds per game, with six other players averaging between 3.0 and 3.8 rebounds per contest.
Rebounding’s been an issue for Alabama this season, as they rank tenth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage and 11th in offensive rebounding percentage. The Crimson Tide play at Texas A&M on Thursday night.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)