Feb 19, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
The Alabama Crimson Tide have lost five of their last six games, most recently dropping a one-point decision at South Carolina on Saturday afternoon. Trevor Releford scored 27 points and grabbed four rebounds to lead the way for Alabama, which is now 10-15 overall and 4-8 in SEC play.
Also playing in that game was junior forward Nick Jacobs, who tallied just two points and one rebound in 14 minutes of action. Jacobs, averaging 8.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game this season, has started ten of the 25 games he’s played in. However when he’ll play next is unknown, as the school announced on Wednesday that Jacobs has taken an indefinite leave of absence from the team.
“Nick and I met early this week regarding a pattern of behavior and inconsistencies with his responsibilities as a student-athlete,” Alabama head coach Anthony Grant said in the release. “When addressed with these off-the-court issues, he requested a leave of absence, which I granted. He and I both feel it is in his best interest to step away from the team for the immediate future. We will continue to provide Nick the support and assistance he needs to reassess his priorities and focus on his well-being.”
Jacobs is one of four players averaging between 7.8 and 8.4 points per game for the Crimson Tide, who have just two double-digit scorers (Releford and Retin Obasohan). From a rebounding standpoint guard Rodney Cooper leads the team with an average of 5.1 rebounds per game, with six other players averaging between 3.0 and 3.8 rebounds per contest.
Rebounding’s been an issue for Alabama this season, as they rank tenth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage and 11th in offensive rebounding percentage. The Crimson Tide play at Texas A&M on Thursday night.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)