Feb 19, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
When Anthony Evans left Norfolk State to fill the vacancy left by Richard Pitino at FIU in the spring, assistant Robert Jones was promoted to interim head coach. And to this point in his debut season Jones has experienced a decent amount of success, with the Spartans (8-3) currently trailing North Carolina Central (12-1) in the MEAC standings by two games in the loss column and 14-11 overall.
With this being the case, Norfolk State announced on Wednesday that the school and Jones have come to an agreement on a contract extension through the 2016-17 season while also removing the interim tag. Norfolk State also announced hat it has extended the contract of women’s basketball head coach Debra Clark through the 2015-16 campaign.
“I’ve been very pleased with Coach Jones’ performance as a head coach on the Division I level,” Norfolk State AD Marty Miller said in the release. “He’s done an excellent job of getting our team to be competitive both within the conference and in non-conference play, despite having to deal with a number of injuries to key players.
“I’m also very satisfied with the academic performance of the program. Our basketball student-athletes had an excellent fall semester overall and are on track to repeat that effort this spring.”
According to the release the Spartans’ average of 74.2 points per game is the highest for the program in 13 years, with senior guards Malcolm Hawkins (16.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg) and Pendarvis Williams (15.9, 5.2, 2.7 apg) leading the way offensively. Norfolk State begins a three-game road swing with a game at Coppin State on Saturday afternoon.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)