Feb 19, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
When Anthony Evans left Norfolk State to fill the vacancy left by Richard Pitino at FIU in the spring, assistant Robert Jones was promoted to interim head coach. And to this point in his debut season Jones has experienced a decent amount of success, with the Spartans (8-3) currently trailing North Carolina Central (12-1) in the MEAC standings by two games in the loss column and 14-11 overall.
With this being the case, Norfolk State announced on Wednesday that the school and Jones have come to an agreement on a contract extension through the 2016-17 season while also removing the interim tag. Norfolk State also announced hat it has extended the contract of women’s basketball head coach Debra Clark through the 2015-16 campaign.
“I’ve been very pleased with Coach Jones’ performance as a head coach on the Division I level,” Norfolk State AD Marty Miller said in the release. “He’s done an excellent job of getting our team to be competitive both within the conference and in non-conference play, despite having to deal with a number of injuries to key players.
“I’m also very satisfied with the academic performance of the program. Our basketball student-athletes had an excellent fall semester overall and are on track to repeat that effort this spring.”
According to the release the Spartans’ average of 74.2 points per game is the highest for the program in 13 years, with senior guards Malcolm Hawkins (16.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg) and Pendarvis Williams (15.9, 5.2, 2.7 apg) leading the way offensively. Norfolk State begins a three-game road swing with a game at Coppin State on Saturday afternoon.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)